6

"Are you a lesbian or something?"

I froze.

It was like all the blood in my body got drained out, leaving my plain shell there. I didn't know why, but I was very scared. I paused in my tracks, turning to where the voice had come from.

On turning, relief rushed over my body as I let out a hiss, blood flowing as a prickly feeling swirled around my body. It was the guy from the other day. He had a frown on, as he stood not too far from me. "Chineke, ogini? (Jesus, What is it?)"

"I've been watching you," he said, causing me to frown. "Well, more like observing you, for a while. And…"

"Don't you feel like a creep? Ehn? As you're saying what you're saying?" I asked him, standing akimbo.

"And don't you?" he crossed his arm across his chest. "You think I don't see how you look at Fareedah ehn?"

Oh, so that's her name? Hmmmm. It does have a nice feel to it, a really attractive feel to be honest. Hmmm, Fareedah.

But, I frowned, feigning obliviousness. "And Fareedah is who?"

"The fair girl with freckles, who you come here to watch."

"You sound silly. I come here to relax," I told him, trying not to give away the panic I had begun to feel.

He shook his head, making his jerry curl move from side to side. "You…" He pointed at me "...come here to watch her."

And then, I dawned on me. Why was I even denying what it was? So, I nodded. "Yes. I come to watch her, she's Intriguing. And, I want to be her friend." I shrugged.

He laughed, laughed out and caused people to look at us. I didn't care about the attention, so I stood there, waiting for him to spill the next possible trash that was going to come out of his mouth. "You reject me, but want someone else. Ironic."

Okay, maybe not complete trash.

I sighed. "You obviously wanted something more, so…don't tell me that," I said with a frown, turning to leave him. I wasn't ready to stand there and have him talk aimless things to me.

"Well, why don't you give me a damn chance? I really just want to be friends," he said after me, following me.

I groaned, ignoring him, thinking he was going to leave me out of embarrassment. But, he didn't. "I really just want to be your fri-"

"Oh please, who the hell do you think you're shitting?" I asked, cutting him off and turning back, as he almost bumped into me at my abrupt stop. "Come off it? Why do you really like me? Ah ahn? Isn't no no again?"

He became speechless at my abruptness and angered response.

I sighed. "Please, I have a boyfriend and do not need another man complicating my life." I sighed again, an idea slipping into my mind "It is for your own good," I told him, letting my shoulders fall. "Nobody apart from the person I've been betrothed to can have me. Or, their destiny is at risk." I stood straight, looking at his face. "It's all this traditional stuff," I lied to his face. "It's not like I'm trying to be a hard guy or something, it's more like a warning from me to you. But, if you don't believe me, you can try your luck. Collect my number, let's meet up." I stretched my right arm forward to ask for his phone, but he shook his head.

He was trying to keep his calm, but it was obvious he had become scared. "I didn't know, sorry," he apologized. "You're just a very fine girl, wallahi (I swear). And, I couldn't handle being rejected ehn, no one rejects me."

"Chai, it is true. See fine boy like you," I agreed with, whining him. "If only, I definitely will say yes to a guy like you."

He chuckled, looking a way as he itched at his bare elbow. "You're funny," he commented. "Okay naw, I guess I'll see you around."