Chapter 21: Pepa Madrigal

They were still exhausted despite their full night of sleep. Strands of hair sticking out while the sandman still floated around in their vicinity.

Felix's fingers slipped through hers as they split paths, with Pepa going downstairs to begin breakfast, as usual.

The walk down the stairs was exhausting. Pepa was not a morning person, quite the opposite actually. But now that Julieta was grieving, it was up to her- at least at the end of the week when it was her turn- to make breakfast for the whole family. And now that the children were back she would have to make triple the amount of food. She was exhausted just thinking about it. But there was one thing that could salvage her positive feelings: Coffee.

There was once a time that the morning rain could vanish with a sip of coffee. When the earliest cries of thunder would be soothed with that beautiful smell. If she imagined it hard enough, she could smell it that very second.

Wait, she was smelling it, it wasn't her imagination... Pepa walked through the doorless arch that led to the kitchen and caught a rare sight. Julieta, her hair tied in a tight bun, cooking piles of food. Reheated calentado, warming changua, arepa de huevos being made at that very moment. Pepa smiled at her sister. It had been so long since she had gotten up this early, or even gotten up by herself. Almost everyday Agustin would have to wake her up, only to be ignored and shunned away from his amor.

Pepa tucked a curl behind her ear and stepped up to her sister. "Good morning, Juli-" Julieta turned around, revealing a young face with golden glasses. A loud thud was heard behind her. Felix's eyes shut as he hit the floor, Pepa and Mirabel running to his aid.

•••

Frigid dabs gently dotted Felix's forehead, awakening him from his shocked state. He opened his eyes to two blurred figures, one a familiar light, a joyous gold, the other long ago lost, dark curls being held by her golden glasses. Felix slowly sat up between the crouching women, turning his head left and right to look at both of them, silently asking his wife, Are you seeing this?

"Are you okay, t-tio?" Mirabel asked. Felix did his best to hide his confusion and shock, but considering what had just happened, that would not be possible anytime soon.

"I'm fine, Mirabel," he said, "I'm just ah- a little surprised..." He spoke each syllable one by one, seeming almost cautious with his words. He turned his head and looked to his wife, bumping one eyebrow towards the door. Pepa understood exactly what he was saying.

"Let's get you back to bed," she said. They walked through the door with Mirabel's worry-full eyes following them as they left.

They walked out the door, up the stairs, and walked to their room. Pepa opened the door for her husband and shut it behind her, leaning her back against it and sliding down, her straight legs moving forward in front of her. Felix sat down on the bed and jumped from the force of the mattress.

"She's alive!?!" Felix asked, rubbing his temple.

"Apparently- yes!"

"How?!"

" 'How?!' How would I know that Felix- I- I thought that was Julieta and then she turned around and it was Mirabel- OH-" She stood straight as a line and clasped her hands to her mouth. "Do you thi-do you think her parents know?!" Felix jumped, straightening his spine as he sat there.

"... I'm not sure..."

"We should ask them." Pepa said.

"Come with me?"

"Of course," he said as he took her hand and walked them to Agustin and Julieta's room. Pepa knocked lightly, loud enough for someone inside to hear, but quiet enough to not attract Mirabel's attention. A creak distracted them as they waited for an answer, the familiar warning from Bruno's stairs that someone was coming. In that instance, that someone was Agustin.

"Agustin!" Pepa dramatically whispered. "Down stairs, in the kitchen we- we saw-"

"We saw Mirabel-"

"I know." The husband and wife duo replicated Os with their lips.

"How'd-"

"When did-"

They both began, only to stop at Agustin's raised hand in the air. "Look, I just found out a few hours ago and I haven't told Juli yet, I'll explain later. If you really want to know, maybe ask your brother or your hijo pequeño." The short wind brushed against the couple's faces, leaving them speechless.

"I'll see Antonio." Said Pepa.

"I'll talk to Bruno." Said Felix as they parted ways.