Chapter 12: Time for Breakfast!

Mira raked her fingernails along her forearm as she set the table in the yard. As she went to fetch the last chair, she glanced towards the front of the house and began chewing on her lip. Luisa?! She thought to herself. It's too early! Wait, is she alone? Why did she come alone? Mira's thoughts spiraled as she stared out ahead of her, leaving her oblivious to the girl next to her.

    "Hey," Mercedes whispered. Mira jumped back with a gasp. The older girl brushed one of her braids out of her face and whispered an apology. After she gathered herself, Mira finally was able to ask her the question.

    "Why is she here so early!?"  she whispered through gritted teeth. Her nervous face was obvious, as was Mercedes'.

    "I- uh..."  The older girl hesitated to tell, but eventually gave in. "I kinda ran into her at the well and invited her early..." Mira dropped her jaw, only to pick it up before Mercedes pressed her hands onto her shoulders. "I know you're nervous, but she seems nice! We had this long talk and I think she just misses you- they all do." Mira tilted her head in confusion.

    "Really?" she said in a whisper. "But I-I left them- I ruined their lives-" Mercedes held Mira's face in her hands.

    "No you didn't." She stated. "Mira, you were a child when all of that happened. A child who was rejected by her family for no good reason. You couldn't have destroyed their casita." Their casita. Mira used to hate when someone called Casita that. As if Casita was just a house, but it wasn't. Casita was a living being. She never understood it, and she never will, but she did know that Casita had feelings. A heart- a big one. But, Mercedes has never fully understood Casita either, or anything from her old life, and so she kept quiet. "You need this. You need to talk to them. I think it'll help all of you." Mira held Mercedes wrists and took her hands away from her face. Embracing each other, Mira whispered a thank you. They let go just in time for Luisa to creep into the yard.

    "Can you grab some more plates, please?" Mira asked. Mercedes took the hint and left the two sisters alone. Luisa stood in front of her little hermana, looking down to her for the first time in years. The closer view allowed Luisa to notice more differences in her sister.

She looked, not old by any means, but older. She had gotten new glasses, which were now golden instead of the familiar emerald that Luisa knew. They reminded her of her father's glasses, which matched perfectly. She looked so much like their mother. She was the only one of the three sisters who did. Isabela had always been a spinning image of abuela, the same hair and face, while Luisa inherited many of her traits from her father, being strong and bold. But Mirabel? She was a perfect picture of mama. She looked just like her, round face, curly haired and all. It wasn't just with her looks, though. Mirabel and her mother had the same caring heart, always doing what they could to help anyone they could.

Mirabel took a red pitcher and held it towards Luisa. "Orange juice?" she asked. Her face contorted to her iconic nervous smile. Luisa looked up at her and smiled.

"Sure."

•••

    The Madrigals had long ago arrived. Alejandro has been forgiven by Isabela, who graciously accepted his apology. Luisa, Dolores and Mariano were laughing at the memory of Camilo playing and losing a game of futbol with Casita. Carmen was comforting a grumpy Camilo, who longed for everyone to forget that memory. Antonio had not said a single word to anyone the entire day. His face wasn't painted with disdain or joy, in fact there was nothing. No emotions were seen from the boy, he simply stared at his food or the sky or the dirt on the road. The Salazars ate in comfort with their guest, all except for Alejandro, who was nervous to meet his in-laws, especially with the glares from everyone that went unnoticed to all else, except for him.

    Mira drummed her fingers on the lips of her cup after taking a sip of her orange juice. She looked around her, taking in what she thought would be an impossible sight. Her cousins were married. Her sisters were almost unrecognizable. Her youngest primo looked like he hated the world. Her new family was amazing, she loved them with her whole heart and more, but this breakfast made her realize something. She missed her familia.

 She missed her familia