Chapter 18: Hola de nueva, Casita

Nothing changed. The same grassy path, still littered with Isabella's old flowers. The same houses who's colors never seemed to fade, no matter how hard it rained. The same rickety fence with the broken swinging gate that a donkey was currently escaping from.

    "Fernando!" Antonio yelled as he went to stop him. Luisa scowled at the boy, now knowing she wouldn't get a chance to speak to him until morning, or even later in the day tomorrow. But her face soon softened when she realized that her little sister had giggled at the sight.

    The donkey's escaping, the colors that could be seen even at night, the flowers that she knew to avoid stomping on even while not looking- it was all familiar. Like she was reading a favorite book again, feeling the excitement at the climax despite knowing exactly what happens. The only difference was Casita.

    There it stood, in the same spot she left it. Only Mira knew that that wasn't her Casita. Not just because Camilo had told her how they rebuilt it, but because she could feel it. Her lack of connection with the house. It was no longer a home, it was a house. Not to mention the visual differences. Isabela's 0uter wall was no longer pink. It matched the rest of the house as a faded orange. Flowers on the wall were replaced with nothing, barren and, honestly, a bit boring. The palma de ceras that surrounded the house, even before Isabela had grown her own, were gone too. Now only ordinary trees remained. The front door... oh how that door changed. It was no longer teal, it was brown. The house had lost it's life, it's vibrancy.

    Only for a split second, after taking in the house had Mira thought otherwise. A familiar creaking was heard from above. She smiled with a gasp and raised her hand to say the two familiar words- only to learn that the shutters on the second floor were simply being blown by the wind. Noone was saying hola to her. Mirabel stopped in her tracks. She could not go back now. She was right there. She was home. She was in the Encanto. She had to be strong, she had to push forward though the pain. This is for Mama. She looked up back at the house, the shutter stopping it's "wave." Mama and Papa deserve this. I should've never left without telling them. I was young and stupid and- the shutter waved again, calmly creaking for a final time that night. Mirabel didn't smile, nor laugh. She simply raised her hand and waved back. Whispering words small enough to be carried away by the wind, out of other ears.

    "Hola de nuevo, Casita..."