Chapter 14: Come Back

"She seems happy here," Dolores said as she leaned her head on Mariano's knee. The two sat comfortably with the husband on the bed and the wife on the floor next to Isabella, who sat next to Luisa. "She has a whole life here, maybe we shoul-"

    "Don't you dare finish that sentence." Isabella sternly interrupted. "We'll find a way to bring her home."

    "I agree," said Luisa. "Mirabel needs to come back to the Encanto." She turned to Camilo, who laid sideways on the bed. "If only we had known she was here, we could've prepared a plan." Camilo tightened his lips to a line and sat up, raising his head from Carmen's lap.

    "I'm sorry, okay, I really did try to, but I was too freaked out! Ask Carmen! Plus, when I was about to tell you, Mariano interrupted me."

    "Hey, I only interrupted because I saw the long lost Madrigal that you failed to warn us about." Mariano defended. Camilo opened his mouth, only to be hushed by the gentle hand of his wife on his.

    "Look," began Carmen. "Let's not play the blame game. We need to figure out if this is really what we all want- and if it is, how do we get her home?"

    "Carm's right," Said Luisa. "We can't exactly drag her home. And Dolores has a point- she has a whole life here."

    "What about your parents?" Antonio finally chimed in. Everyone turned to look at the boy. He sat at the windowsill, one leg dangling above the floor. Antonio had been quiet throughout the conversation, almost being forgotten by the adults until he brought up his suggestion.

    "...What?" Isabella asked.

    "Doesn't Tia Julieta and Tio Agustin miss her?" He asked. "We could tell her how Tia has been this whole time and maybe that'll convince her." The room glanced at each other, hesitant at the option.

"I don't think we should guilt trip her like that..." Camilo said.

"Yeah, I'm not sure, Tonito," Dolores said. "Bringing them up might be a- uh..." she hesitated while thinking of her aunt. "A drastic measure..."

    "It's more than a drastic measure..." Luisa said. "We can't bring up mama, that's too far." Antonio shrugged and continued staring out the window.

    "Okay..." The family pondered for the rest of the night. How could Mirabel be swayed? They came up with a few reasons.

They missed her.

She's family and belongs in the Encanto.

...

    They had their reasons, that's all that mattered.

•••

    Mira placed the last of the plates into the sink, carefully stacking them so they wouldn't topple over. Luisa and Isabella followed, each carrying glasses and utensils respectively. Mira rolled up her sleeves and began to turn the water on, until Luisa stopped her.

    "Hey, uh," the middle sister began. "Can we talk..?"

    "Sure," Mira replied. "What's up?"

    "Well," Luisa inhaled through her teeth, her hands folded in front of her. "We uh- wanted to ask if-" Isabella leaned forward and took Mira's hand.

    "You need to come back with us." Isabella blurted out.  Mira pursed her lips and moved her head back in shock. What did she just say...? She thought to herself.

    "Wha-" Mira breathed out a shaky breath. They- they can't ask me that. I'm not ready- I'll never be ready. "What?" Mira gave a nervouse laugh.

    "Mirabel," Isabella began again. "You're a Madrigal. You belong in the Encanto. Think of the family."

    "Isabella," Isabella. It felt wrong, hearing her full name escape Mirabel's lips. "I-I have a life here. A different family. I won't be a Madrigal for very long, soon I'll be a Salazar- I belong here with the Salazars-"

    "Mirabel, you can't be serious." Isabella interrupted. "These people, they're great, they're kind, but they're not your familia. You're a Madrigal, you need to come home-"

    "Isabella this is my home-"

    "Mirabel." The three turned to a voice behind them. Antonio leaned against the wall, his arms folded together, pushed tightly against his chest. His lips were pressed together making a thin line- y0u could hardly even see them. His eyes stared at the floor, uncomfortable with what he was about to say. "Y-your mama..." He began. "She um... she misses you..." Mirabel gaspsed, holding her hands to her mouth. Isabella's face matched the youngest sister, but she didn't gasp nor hide it behind her fingers. Luisa however, Luisa gritted her teeth and piercing stare glared through Antonio, not that he could see.

    "She hasn't been the same since you left." Antonio continued, much to Luisa's dismay. "She and your pa misses you, Mirabel" Luisa bit her tongue, hoping she wouldn't say something to her cousin that she woud regret. She shouldn't have to think of mama like that. Luisa thought. Hell, I hate when I think of ma like that... Julieta had become depressed after Mirabel's dissapearance. Well, honestly, depressed is an understatement, but there's no true word to describe her. She's a mother without one of her children, a piece of her corazon is gone, and she still believes that there's no way to bring her back.

    Mirabel stood up, holding a fist to her heart. She walked out of the kitchen and into the hall. Antonio turned and gently tugged on the pom-pom of her scalloped collar. "Where are you going?" He asked. Mira didn't look at any of them, she only began to play with one of the threads on her skirt.

    "I have to tell Andro and the others that I'm leaving."