44

"Meredith...Meredith...wake up." It was the first thing she heard, the first thing she came aware of that morning. Her best friend, leaning over her, actually completely on top of her whispering in her ear. She knew what day it was, and it wasn't exactly sure how she had expected to wake up but it definitely wasn't with Derek on top of her, trying to get her out of bed.

"Hmmmm," she groaned, trying to swat at his arm but instead flailing miserably. He wasn't supposed to wake up early today. He was supposed to sleep in and want to stay in bed and not move. She had counted on this already. Katherine had told her about the first year anniversary, and Meredith was prepared for today. Prepared for two years and Derek not being Dereky or something.

"Mer, you have to get up," he whispered louder, and she felt his lips find her nose. "You have to get up so none of that groaning. We're going for a hike which is pretty hard to do while sleeping."

"But it's early," she whimpered, closing her eyes tighter as he ran his hand over her hair. They had been closer over the last month, a lot closer. Big time close which was kind of scary because she wasn't sure what it meant. She had no idea what it meant when he kissed her the way he did, or when his hand rested on her lower back, or when he smelled her hair. She was officially living in confusion.

"That's kind of the point," he laughed softly, and even with her eyes closed she could tell something was slightly off in the sound. Which had to be expected, she hadn't even expected to her him laughing today. "Get up."

"Why early?"

"Because I don't want...because I want to go early."

"You and your early," she murmured.

"You love my early."

"I really don't," she giggled quietly, opening her eyes slowly, his own blue ones the first thing she saw. They were red and puffy, already swollen and she reached her hands up to lightly play with his hair.

"Hey," he whispered.

"Hi," she breathed, staring at his empty smile.

"I want to go for a hike."

"At...." she turned over silently, rolling her eyes at the digital clock. "Six in the morning?"

"Please," he murmured, sounding urgent suddenly. "Please, Mer."

"Okay," she whispered, her hands stilling in his brown, messy curls. "Okay."

"Thank you."

"You're luck I lo...like you," she corrected herself quickly.

"I know I am," he breathed.

"Usual trail?" Meredith sighed as she got out of bed.

"That would be good," he nodded. "Coffee's already made."

"You know how to get a girl out of bed," she giggled.

"I know how to get you out of bed," he laughed.

"Pour me coffee," she smiled as she poured a sweater on over her long sleeved t-shirt.

"Of course," he nodded, grabbing a travel mug.

"How long have you been up?" she asked softly.

"Oh...umm...a bit," he shrugged.

"Derek," she murmured.

"Couldn't sleep, that's all."

"I know," she sighed. She wasn't going to say anything. She wasn't. Today was going to suck and he was...she was supposed to be his anchor. She was supposed to make him feel better, but he was going a weird denial thing and wanting to go for a hike. She could do that. She could go for a hike.