33

This was not her bed. It definitely wasn't her bed and it definitely wasn't her house because her house was usually loud and annoying, and really warm. But now Meredith was kind of cold, and she really didn't want to open her eyes to find out where she was. She could hear someone tapping on the keys of a laptop, and she could definitely smell coffee. And something else. She could smell something else on the pillows. It was a smell she knew, some masculine smell she definitely recognized and then she opened her eyes and found herself staring up at a skylight. The night before suddenly came flooding back to her and she bit back a groan. She had yelled at him. She had yelled at her best friend who had lost his family because she had had a bad day and now she was in his bed. The good news was, she still clothed. That was definitely good news. Still being clothed meant she hadn't had angry, make up sex with her best friend. But still, she had yelled at him. She had yelled at him and she was sleeping in his bed and he had actually slept on his couch. He probably hated her now. He was probably ready for her to go now. Probably ready for their friendship to be over.

She had definitely not wanted to yell at him. It had been stupid. Completely and totally stupid. He was completely stuck on himself but he had just lost his family and she was pretty sure that gave him a lot more excuses than she had. And he had a stalker. Which was crap and she should have just listened to him. If she had listened she could have kept her friend until he was better or something. But now she was lying in his bed in his tiny trailer, trying her hardest not to make any noises. She didn't want him to know she was awake. She couldn't stand to look at him right now. Maybe if she stayed really quiet, he would go fish and she'd be able to sneak out and just not worry about the fact that her best friend probably hated her now, and thought she was completely selfish and a bitch.

"I know you're awake," his soft voice cut into her thoughts.

"I...what?" she murmured, pulling the blankets over her head.

"You're awake, or so I guessed because of the sudden silence," he laughed softly.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she blushed furiously from underneath the blankets.

"You snore like a trucker," he laughed louder.

"I...what?" she snapped up, the blankets falling from over her face. "No I don't!"

"You do," he nodded. "It's kind of adorable that such a big noise can come from such a tiny person."

"Liar."

"It's loud, Mer."

"Liar."

"I should have probably recorded it."

"You're a liar," she repeated, falling back onto the pillows.

"I'm not!" he protested. "You snore...really loud."

"I do not," she insisted, curling up under the blankets.

"You do."

"Whatever."

"How are you feeling?" he asked softly.

"What?"

"How are you feeling?" he shrugged. "Last night was...it was a hard night for you. How are you feeling now?"

"I...fine."

"I..." he breathed. "Okay, how are you really?"

"What...what do you mean?"

"You're curled up in a ball under my blankets."

"Oh," Meredith breathed, moving quickly out of the bed. "I...it's your bed and you probably....I can go."