Chapter 13 - The Alpha's Guard

Bram's POV

I had an eerie feeling that something was going to happen today from the very moment that I woke up.

Yesterday had been as close to perfect as I could have hoped for and the goodnight kiss I'd received from Jason had been scorching hot before he'd pulled away and retreated to his bedroom. I'd been left standing in the main room of our suite panting for more.

Now here I stood watching the Alpha's Guard going through their paces as they pushed themselves in their training. There were six of the warriors missing as they were on patrol this morning. They were running the perimeter before taking up their posts and watching for intruders.

My father had been here helping me with the training regime but he'd been called away for some issue about tonight's ceremony. I was used to doing this though. My father was a busy man so I this was one of the tasks that I had taken over in his stead. I enjoyed training with them because the Guard didn't expect anything from me but direction and thoroughness.

"Alright warriors it's time to shift and go through your training in wolf form." I yelled over the clearing in front of me. The twenty eight women and eighty six men before started stripping off their clothes and folded them into neat piles on the ground before shifting. When the last warrior had shifted I followed their example taking off my clothes and shifting into my black wolf.

~Start your laps. We're going to run the perimeter twice before returning here. I'll take the lead and Austin will be bringing up the rear to make sure that no one falls behind or gets into any kind of trouble. If you see or scent anything suspicious let Austin or myself know immediately. ~

I waited for them all to reply in the affirmative before I started at a quick pace for the outer edge of our property. There was nothing more freeing than running through the woods in wolf form. My senses were alive taking in the sights and scents of the forest. My paws were pounding the packed earth as I ran at full speed and turned to avoid objects in my path.

I jumped over a large fallen tree branch and came to a full stop. A growl rumbled in my chest and I hunched lower to the ground. The scent of blood was heavy in the air.

I could feel the others stopping behind me and heard a few growls and whimpers. I scented out the direction the spilled blood was coming from and moved quickly but quietly through the brush. Just beyond it I could see one of my warriors lying deathly still on the mossy ground with a large bite taken out of his neck and shoulder. Listening closely I heard the very faint sound of a heartbeat. It was almost non-existent but it was enough to give me hope.

~Hold strong, we need to ensure that this isn't a trap before we go out there and rescue him.~ I ordered the Alpha's Guard.

I could see some of them getting restless and I knew they were anxious to help their kin. I would be a bad leader though if I let them run in without ensuring their safety first.

I raised my snout and inhaled deeply. The scent of blood was almost overpowering and I only caught the vague scent of rogue.

~Rogue.~ I growled through the link to the others. ~Fernandez I want you and Bree to circle right around the clearing looking for any signs of rogue. Niko and Valerie take the left. When you meet in the centre I want an update on what you've found.~

The four wolves broke away from the pack and moved silently in their given directions. It wasn't long before Nikko spoke through the link. ~There are signs of at least two rogues moving east away from our location. Their scents are fading fast.~

~Thank you Nikko. Warriors, move in.~ I stepped through the brush and trotted over to Paul's prone body. I shifted and examined him more closely. He was still fully clothed which meant that he hadn't even had time to shift before he was attacked.