Chapter 4 - Wake Up Call

A/N: I didn't realise that this chapter was going to be so long. Please vote and remember to follow so that you can get the link to any future chapters that may be made private ;) . Thanks for reading you guys are awesome.

P.S. They finally meet in the next chapter. I can't wait, it's going to be EXPLOSIVE!!

Jason's POV

The sound of a ringing telephone slowly woke me from my sleep. Just when he it finally stopped and I thought I could go back to sleep, it started up again. "God damn it." I cursed and groaned at my scratchy dry throat. I really needed to stop drinking Wolf's Claw Beer. It was especially brewed for shifters, since regular alcohol had no effect on us, but it packed a mighty punch if you over indulged.

I sat up slowly, afraid that my head was about to explode, and cracked open one eye to look at the clock on my bedside table. Big red numbers were flashing back at me, 5:17a.m. I felt a body stir behind me and glanced over my shoulder. All I could make out were feminine curves and a mess of blond hair. I couldn't believe I'd let this one stay over, I must have passed out pretty much straight after we'd finished.

My cell started ringing again and I plucked it from its perch beside my clock. With a one eyed glance I could see that it was my brother calling. I was going to kick his ass for calling me at this hour. "What the hell, Austin? Do you know what time it is?" I growl at him.

"Jay?" I sat up straighter and peeled both of my eyes open fully at the distressed note in his voice. "Are you drunk?" I hear crying in the background noise, it sounds like my mother. Oh, shit.

With my heart pounding I ask a question that I dread hearing the answer to. "What's happened, Austin? Is Dad okay?" Please, be okay. I whisper silently to myself.

"It was a rogue, one of our own turned and escaped from the hospital. When we finally had her cornered she played dead and struck out at Dad. Doc Mason says he'll be fine, but he's in pretty bad shape still. She tore a huge chunk out of his arm and the doc thinks it might never fully heal. He's going to have to step down, Jay. This is going to crush him."

Yes, this would hit my father hard. He's been Beta to the pack since before we were born, since before he met our Mom. He's devoted to his position, lives for it. He even picked it over me. Yes, I am still bitter over that and my Dad and me don't get on as well as we used to. I still love him though and I don't want to even imagine how hard he's going to take this. He's been training Austin to take over his position since he was five years old but he had no plans to step down until the Alpha did. As far as I know that won't be for another three years or so. Then that other bastard will take the place of Alpha. I grind my teeth in anger at the mere thought of his name.

"Is he awake, has he been told yet?" I feel helpless, I'm miles away from them and having something like this happen has always been my greatest fear. My instincts tell me to hop on a plane and fly back there. Give my mother and brother moral support and be there for my father to help him through this. But a cold hollow feeling of terror and unforgotten pain holds me back. I haven't had  a panic attack in years but I'm already breathing erratically and my heart is pounding, my palms are coated in a layer of sweat and my head is spinning.

Breathe, just breathe In and out. In and out.

I close my eyes, concentrating on my breathing and try to listen to what my brother is telling me. "He hasn't woken up yet, it only happened about an hour ago. They're ready to move him soon. Mom wants him in his own home, in his own bed. Luckily that only means a trip up one flight of stairs. We're going to need you, Jay. I'm sorry, I know you never wanted to come back here but I think Mom and Dad are both going to need us. It may not sound bad over the phone, but it's bad. His bone is exposed, the muscle and flesh are completely gone from the inside of his elbow to his wrist. They stopped him from bleeding out but even with his advance healing, it's going to take weeks for it to heal. Mom is in pieces, she may have been around shifters for the best part of thirty years, but she's still human. It's hard for her to understand that he's not going to die from this. Please, Jay, please come home. They need you, I need you."