Chapter 9 - Dinner And Dancing

Bram's POV

I watched everyone around me eating and chatting happily. My father was seated at the head of the large main table with my mother at his left side and me beside my mother. At his left side was his injured Beta, Philip. His wife, April beside him and then Austin. Jason was sandwiched between Austin and his friend Freddie who was the acting Third.

At the smaller tables dotted around the large meeting/function room people were smiling, laughing and enjoying themselves. Was I the only one who found the food tasteless?

My stomach roiled once more and I pushed my plate away.

I glanced across the table at my mate and watched as he laughed at something Austin and Freddie were talking about. Austin reached across Jason and gave Freddie a playful punch to the arm causing the three to laugh again. My mate looked spectacular when he smiled. I'd never realized before that he had deep dimples in both cheeks when he smiled or laughed and I found myself wondering if he'd let me lick them. Then I realised that I wouldn't be in charge, I wouldn't be allowed to decide what we did together intimately.

What had I done?

An Alpha does not give away his control and power to anyone. Not even his mate. I'd been told that so many times, but the second my mate gave me an ultimatum I'd cracked.

Now I was a nervous... No, I was a terrified mess. I had watched those DVD's and tried to study them from a top's point of view thinking that would be my position. I had cringed at the thought of a finger up my ass and now I was faced with having something much larger there instead. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and glanced around.

My wolf sat up snarling as Freddie casually laid his arm over the back of Jason's seat with his hand resting on his shoulder. The table grew quiet as all eyes turned to me and it was only then that I realized I'd growled aloud.

I stared Freddie down until he lowered his eyes and bared his neck in submission. I continued to growl until his hand dropped to his lap and he was no longer in any physical contact with my unclaimed mate.

I chanced a look at Jason and found him scowling at me with a clenched jaw and fire in his eyes. I knew I was being a possessive SOB but it was in my Alpha blood to be that way. My rational mind knew that he was just catching up with old friends and his brother, but my wolf just saw an unmated wolf touching his unclaimed mate. I dropped my eyes to my barely touched food and silently cursed myself.

I wasn't sure if I could do this. How could I be with my mate, and I'm trying not to think of my future position under him, and not give in to the need to mark him? It was his nature to lay claim and mark his mate at the moment of climax. I have always been able to control him and push him back when I've needed to, but I'm not sure that I can fight the mating.

A shrill ringing sound broke me from my thoughts and I watched Jason glance at his phone. "Jason, put that away until after our meal is finished, please." His mother scowled him. I felt a grin tug at the corner of my lips as he pouted at her while putting the phone back into his pocket. He looked so adorable like that and those lips that were pouting looked so unbelievably edible.

"Brother, tone down your lust. The smell is overpowering." Emery elbowed me in the ribs and I hissed when his bony little elbow made contact. 

"Shut up, you're just jealous because your little bookworm wouldn't put out." I snickered.

"How the hell did you know?" He frowned at me and his expression of total bewilderment sent me over the edge and into a painful fit of laughter.

"I-" I tried to catch my breath before continuing. "I didn't but you've just told me."