Partner - 14

A/N: I'm SO sorry for the late update, I faced a massive writer's block.

Something clicked in Naruto's head, suddenly it all made sense.

Naruto didn't exactly "see" what Sasuke saw in his dream, but because of his special ability, Naruto was able to read Sasuke's pain stats, and that alone was enough.

The pain that Sasuke felt was all too familiar, a pain Naruto can never forget.

Frankly, he felt a little stupid for not realizing all of this before.

He grabbed his phone, ready to tell Sai everything, but then he remembered that Sasuke had just gone through something traumatic beyond belief.

Naruto needed to be by his side, to help him get through.

He looked in the general direction of the bathroom, then back at his phone.

Bathroom, phone.

Bathroom.

Phone.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled.

Sasuke was still in the bathroom, crouching down in front of the toilet, barely stopping himself from throwing as his mind kept repeating the dream he had over and over when he heard a voice coming from Naruto's room.

He collected himself just enough to go check on him, but when he entered, Naruto was still asleep in the same position Sasuke left him in.

'I must've been imagining it...'

He walked back and sat next to Naruto.

He didn't exactly comprehend it, and he didn't really understand it, but Sasuke wanted to cry and sob and yell and curse whatever found him in this situation.

And so hours passed by, but Naruto never "woke up".

Or that's what Sasuke thought, because Naruto was awake the whole time.

But Naruto wasn't ready to face Sasuke, he wasn't ready to talk about it all.

About why he lied, about the case, about Sai, about the dream Sasuke had of Naruto's ex...

He just wasn't ready.

As the whole day passed, Sasuke would occasionally drift into a short nap, and Naruto would use that time to text Sai any new information he had figured out.

Eventually, the time for Sasuke to get back to work came, and even though he'd still be in the same building as Naruto, he was still hesitant to leave his side.

But alas, he had to, so with a heavy heart, he left his loved one's side.

——————————

It went on for about a week, whenever Sasuke went to visit Naruto in between shifts or during breaks, Naruto would be "asleep".

But there were always a bunch of people going in and out of Naruto's room, to name a few: Sai, Sakura, and most of the staff who weren't even assigned to Naruto's room.

Sasuke was also pretty sure he also saw Suigetsu go in there too.

Suigetsu... who wasn't even close to Naruto.

Sasuke figured out at some point along the way that Naruto was avoiding him, but he kept going to visit anyway, hoping that one day Naruto would talk to him.

One day when Sasuke entered, Naruto was pretending to be asleep as usual, so Sasuke sat next to him.

"Naruto" Sasuke started.