Chapter 37

- - 3rd POV - -

Levi's feet hit the ground as he saw the familiar strawberry-blonde hair as Petra leant over the person, holding a cloth against his stomach.

Just even a glance at him and Levi knew he was a goner.

"Rashad..." Levi said as he knelt down beside the scout leader.

"What happened here?" Levi asked as Petra had tears in her eyes as she kept pressure against the bloody cloth.

"L-Levi... I don't think..." Petra started when Rashad slowly turned his head towards Levi, staring at him with pain-filled eyes.

"E-Everyone?" Rashad asked, despite the situation he was in, he still had a small glimmer of hope in his eyes.

Levi was quiet before he sighed.

"There are survivors." Levi lied as Rashad let out a shaky breath.

"T-That's good." Rashad mumbled before coughing, blood coating his lips.

"Rashad. What happened here?" Levi asked as he grabbed the cloth from Petra, trying his best to staunch the bleeding.

"W-We were on our way back... T-t-there was n-nothing wrong... with Ragako..." Rashad started as he winced.

"But then... there was suddenly a w-w-w-whole bunch of t-titans that came from nowhere... They came from all, all sides..." Rashad said as Levi clenched his fists.

"Are you saying the titans ambushed you guys?" Levi asked as Rashad nodded.

"It was li-like they knew what t-they were d-d-doing..." Rashad said as his eyes widened in shock.

"C-Captain Levi?" Rashad asked as he raised his one arm, missing three fingers as he swung blindly.

"I-I can't see you!" Rashad said in panic as he kept searching blindly when Levi grabbed his hand.

"You served us well, soldier." Levi said as Rashad calmed down a little at the touch of Levi's hand.

"I just wish... I got to see my daughter..." Rashad whispered out before his head fell to the side, eyes open yet unseeing as Petra choked back a sob.

Oluo knelt down beside him, closing his eyes as he had a grim look on his face.

"Captain Levi-" Oluo started but suddenly a loud roar made all three of them jump up, reaching for their blades as birds scattered from the trees, soaring into the sky.

"What the hell was that?!" Oluo shouted, whirling around when there was the sound of hooves against the ground as Levi ran froward just as a horse appeared right in front of him.

"Woah!" Levi said, calming the frightened mare when he spotted a small boy on the back of the horse.

"Who are you? How are you here?" Levi asked as the boy trembled at the deadly look Levi was giving him.

"T-The nice lady... S-She said she'd g-g-go back f-for my s-sis." The young boy stammered out as Levi's eyes widened in shock.

"Who? Y/n!?" Levi asked as he grabbed the boy by the colour, tugging him down and pulling him close.

"What did she look like?" Levi shouted when the boy was pulled from his grasp as Petra grabbed the boy and Oluo stood in between them.

"Captain Levi, calm down. Y/n is very capable and you know this." Oluo reasoned as the boy clung onto Petra.

Levi grit his teeth tightly before turning to Oluo.

"Oluo, let's go. Petra, take care of the damn brat. After we get Y/n, we're getting the hell out of here." Levi said as he was about to shoot his hooks off but the boy abruptly lunged forward, grabbing Levi by the leg.