Chapter 14

We've been riding for some time and I looked around to see the green smoke rounds.

"Smoke round. Green." Levi said as he glanced at Oluo.

"Oluo, you fire it." He said as Oluo nodded.

"Roger." Oluo confirmed as he fired the smoke round into the sky.

"Reporting! Message to pass along!" Someone shouted, coming from the side, closing in enough to shout the message.

"Right flank recon has been destroyed! Our recon system is partially inoperative! Pass this on, to the left." The man said as Levi glanced to his left, at Petra.

"Did you hear that, Petra? Go." Levi asked as the ginger haired girl nodded.

"Yes, Captain!" Petra said as she broke off and made her way towards the left.

I saw Eren beside me, who looked like he was lost deep in thought as I urged my horse to come a little closer.

"I know you're worried Eren, but your friends are strong! Don't forget who trained them either!" I said, flashing a grin to Eren who blinked at me before nodding in determination.

"Yes, ma'am!" Eren said as I nodded.

Be the strong one. I repeated in my head over and over again.

However, as soon as I saw the black smoke in the sky, I clenched my reigns tighter.

"A black round? Aberrants?" Eren muttered to himself.

"Eren, you fire it." Levi instructed as Eren blinked before nodding.

"R-Right." Eren said, fumbling for his gun as I sped on a little more to end up beside Levi.

Even if we aren't exactly in the best place, we had to ignore personal issues when dealing outside the walls, which meant he was my Captain and we had a plan to follow.

"Is the aberrant a titan-shifter?" I asked in a low voice as Levi didn't answer.

"We let it penetrate deep into our formation." Levi mumbled as we carried on riding.

Petra soon rejoined and we kept moving forward until the forest of giant trees came in view.

I glanced around, and could see everyone look at each other with some unease and confusion but didn't speak.

We rode for a little while until entering the forest and into the shade of the trees.

"Captain... Captain Levi!" Eren called.

"What?" Levi asked, a tone of annoyance underlying his voice.

"Well... We're in the middle of the woods! If the centre enters alone, we don't know if titans are approaching!" Eren said as Levi didn't reply.

"It seems something's approaching us from the right... How are we supposed to dodge the titans or protect the carts?" Eren asked in a slightly panicked voice.

"Don't go on and on about the obvious, we can't do that anymore, of course." Levi said as Eren blinked in shock.

"Th-Then why?" Eren asked, stammering a bit for questioning Levi.

"Look around, Eren. At all these big-ass trees. It's the perfect environment for 3D Manoeuvre Gear." Levi explained as I already knew the real reason behind this.

"And try to use that tiny brain of yours. If you don't want to die, think." Levi added the half-insult as Eren nodded.

"Yes, sir!" Eren said.

However, I looked around our squad and everyone had a grave look on their face.

I grit my teeth but kept riding forward.