Chapter 59 When it Comes to Her

<Auction Hall>

The excitement in the hall was unmatched but so was the heat. Intensity radiated from the crowd like a furnace and truly sweat rolled down the chins of the uncultured attendees. Even the so-called masters of martial arts and the bearers of the divine mark were unable to control themselves.

The auctioneer could tell, from the teeming eyes of the crowd that this auction would be a success despite the presence of the Emperor's representatives. Their invitation was a challenge to the Emperor from the Gui family. There were many other families, clans, and sects attending this auction. If the Emperor acted too rashly, she would be making some unwanted enemies. If she let it slide she would look weak. The invitation was a trap. A lose-lose situation with a non-existent middle ground.

The beautiful woman, who looked ordinary next to the prize of the auction, adjusted her collar and cleared her dry throat. One final bid and the Gui family would have successfully made a fortune and established a new influence in one of the most commercial cities in the Empire. She was getting hot just thinking about the merit she would receive for personally overseeing this auction's success.

'A position as an elder will be in reach.' She thought as she drew the final breath before the storm. The audience was captivated by her words and her performance. A mountain of silver Taels was forming as the economic tectonic plates shifted.

"Now ladies and gentlemen start the bidding at"

Pop! Pop! Pop! She was interrupted by a sequential metallic burst. The crowd rustled with confusion as light, soulful pings echoed through the chamber. A venomous hissing filled the room as smoke filled the auditorium, cutting all lines of sight. The occupants couldn't see beyond three meters in front of them. They were encapsulated in a gray, formless ethereal tomb.

"Stick close to me young master!"

"Is this part of the festivities?"

The confusion within the crowd clouded the auctioneer's ears. The Emperor was making a move now? Why? It didn't make sense. This method of apprehension was too straightforward. If the Emperor planned to capture them all she would have done it discreetly. The Emperor would have ambushed the guest as they left the auction.

A sharp whistling sound strung a thin line through the air until a sharp thunk embedded itself onto one of the side pillars of the stage. The sound of a zipline kicked the dazed auctioneer into action. She eyed the prize of the auction beside her. The Emperor wanted this girl? But if she did why didn't she buy her?

There was no time to think as the warrior dashed through the smoke. The auctioneer unsheathed her blade just in time to block the oncoming strike. The shrill of steel against steel parted the fog in her immediate vicinity. A ringed arena of smoke was formed and she was able to make out her assailant. A tall proud woman that wore a warrior's cloth.

"Take the girl away." The auctioneer ordered as a tall figure burst through the fog. He made a mad dash towards the prize whose eyes were wide open with shock. Crystal blue flashed with soft-question intent. As if to say why were you here.

Tsk. The auctioneer was closer to the girl than the man was. She quickly kicked the carriage back into the tunnel from where it came from. The wheels screeched as her attendants received the asset. The goods had to be protected.

"Intruders! Intruders! A swordswoman with black hair, yellow eyes, and a tall man with brown hair and-"

HSSSH!

The auctioneer barely caught herself and veered desperately to the side. Flashing emerald eyes marked her with tainted flaxen-gold flames. The temperature around her rose uncontrollably as she desperately crushed the expensive wooden floor to get away from the unrelenting onslaught of fire and steel.