Chapter 20 Delusion

<Basel, Switzerland>

It was midday in the small city of Basel, the sun was showering warmth over the charming city below. Few clouds drifted lazily in the sky, as the people underneath them emerged from a ferry into a crowded dock. Passengers flooded the weathered docks that threatened to break under such weight. Family reunions, goodbyes to newly acquainted friends, and rushes to do business caused lots of traffic on the dock. The clankle of luggage made the interactions no easier as people desperately tried to squeeze out of the way of incoming heavy loads. Eventually, the crowd thinned as business partners set out to have a midday meal and families set out to get their relatives settled in. People who searched for a new life quickly made their way towards the governing office. The last to get off the Ferry was an unassuming couple, in terms of looks the couple was a match made in heaven. Looks that were successfully played down by the boorish common clothes they wore. The tall, stern, poison green-eyed black-haired gentleman was being guided by the brown hair wavy blue-eyed maiden. She carried a large pack of luggage too large for her frame while the man carried a much smaller sack slung over his shoulder.

"Hurry up Otto. I want to stretch my legs." Kallen said.

She wore a cheerful expression as if they weren't running from the church. The gentleman behind her couldn't help but sigh at her childish nature. The past few days have been peaceful for both of them. The river wind cooled the excitement they had built up on the run. For Otto it was a godsend, he worked his nights away tinkering at his gear. Kallen on the other hand grew bored of ship life and spent the days walking along the deck and talking to passengers.

"I'm moving as fast as I can," Otto said.

They finally reached the now nearly empty dock. There were a few fishermen and merchants that looked for the opportunity to advertise their products. Some held signs, others greeted the passengers, and a select few sold art. A painting caught Kallen's eye and she approached the vendor who sat on the ground, besides what was presumably his work.

"Hi, hi I was just looking at your work and was wondering what the inspiration was behind this?"

She pointed at the shabby painting at the far end of the line he set up. It was a grand depiction of a certain hero besieging the city of Vienna. Victoria Kaslana, was shown wielding the Judgment of Shamash charging into the desecrated city of Vienna as hordes of Honkai beasts rose over the towering walls of the city ready to kill her.

"That's the great hero Victoria Kaslana. Due to the recent efforts of the Kaslana house, I thought to depict one the greatest heroes of the house."

The man, dressed in light clothing, waved his painter's hand over the piece and snatched it rather uncarefully. He presented it to Kallen with a smile that revealed uneven yellow and white teeth.

"Normally, I'd sell it for a fortune. But for you, beautiful young lady, I'll sell it for fifteen shillings."

"Oh no, I'm sorry I'm not looking to buy it. I was just admiring your work."

The man's smile turned into a frown as he crumpled himself to take on a more pitiful appearance.

"That's alright, it's just that as you know times are rough. I'd like to sell my paintings for higher and in a stall no less but I can't afford to do so."

Kallen's strings were plucked as she sympathized with the plight of the supposed artist before her. Though even she could see that the art before her wasn't of the best quality it certainly took time. Noble fingers reached for her purse as she felt righteous intent guiding her actions.

But a strong hand stopped Kallen and a tall figure quickly towered over the supposed artist. A shadow was quickly cast over the floor-vendor as his knees turned to jelly and his mouth became a desert.