Chapter 54 Manipulation

<Lanshau Inn>

Otto sat down with Liling, she noticed an extra cup laid out but didn't think too much of it. A couple was supposed to meet her according to the notice beforehand. His lover was probably just here before she arrived. Otto poured a cup for her while she was taking in his features. He was tall, handsome, beautiful, and refined. She didn't like him in the slightest, there was a familiar scent in the air. Streams of thoughts raced through her mind trying to recall where she had felt such aura and who it came from but she couldn't make a connection.

"Does the Celestial Immortal normally send her disciples to evaluate those that wish to meet her?"

Liling brow twitched. Otto was sharp and soft at the same time. Those eyes were trying to glean every bit of information he could from her words and actions. Her master and her disciples were powerful enough to disregard any invasive prying. But in front of Otto, she felt as though she had to be careful.

"No, we have people under us for that."

"A school?"

"In a sense."

Liling didn't reveal any more information. Certain energies warned her to not be her boisterous self. She only came here on urgent business assigned by her master. It just so happened that powerful figures prompted her to serve as a connector. The entire process was also disposed of. Normally, the process involved a series of checkpoints spaced out monthly. At every checkpoint, those who wished to see the Immortal could be kicked out of the process. This process allowed few visitors to meet the Celestial or even one of her disciples. It is said one had a better chance of meeting the Celestial out in the wilderness than through the process.

"I didn't mean to pry."

Otto took a more relaxed and passive posture, he had become adept at reading people. Before Kallen stole him away, he only paid attention to the malice that people held. As a result, he could only read the bad intentions of others. But now he could read more intentions than before. The joy of others, their annoyance, and so much more. Liling was certainly uncomfortable with where he steered the conversation.

"Then let's not beat around the bush. I'm sure you're well aware, by my presence, that much of the process has been thrown aside. Very few can come face to face with near direct disciples and there is only one person who can skip the entire process."

"The Emperor?"

Liling nodded. Otto caught on quickly and she felt like a teacher teaching a talented student.

"I don't see why such importance was attached to you two but I need to know why you seek out my master and what you intend to do after you meet her."

Otto saw flashing steel in Liling's eyes. They were warrior eyes bred through battle, against Honkai beasts and humans. Kallen didn't have such eyes, yet, at the very least he had never seen that look in her eyes. Those eyes put Otto's recovering body on edge and his through that had been clogged by mucus suddenly felt very dry.

"It's a matter regarding divine keys and our homeland. We fled powerless to change a corrupting world. Kallen and I wish to save it from tyranny. We wish for guidance to sway the hearts of people. For them to stand up against their oppressors. For justice."

Otto looked determined but he was shaking on the inside. He knew instinctively from what information he gathered about the Immortal she could only help in the matter regarding the cursed box. He prepared for the response, he was sure Liling was going to berate him for wasting her time.

"Do you have the divine key or keys with you?"

"Yes. Do you-?"

"No, I don't need to see them. This alone warrants a meeting with my master. But what puzzles me is the other kind of guidance you seek. You're intelligent, surely you must know."