Chapter 8 Arrogance

<Versailles>

The Overseer was in a rather pensive mood. He had received news of his son's exploits and peril. He wasn't upset and even welcomed the chain of events. Going to war with the Ming empire had made him realize how weak his hold was over the citizens of his own empire. Though not an empire by name the church of Shicksal essentailly controlled all of Europe. Rather than focusing on expanding his influence for the time being he had to reinforce it in his own territory. Which was why he didn't place much importance on the matter of the Holy Maiden. The war with the Ming was unwinnable due to the Guardian of Shenzhou. The Overseer kept troops at the border to mainly secure the territory they had gained. Losing territory was fine as long as his losses weren't great. It would take time for Shicksal to eventually allocate the resources they had in the front lines to their own territories. A quick retreat was not ideal, he needed to keep the war away from his citizens. Once the indulgences have gathered enough money and unrest he would retract them and use the anger of the people to further his own goals. An iron fist could only do so much. Political opponents, rivals, and enemies were soon to be eliminated.

"Overseer!"

A woman had entered his chamber. She was well dressed and carried an aura of power and elegance in her every step. Her long blonde hair was reflecting the sunlight that entered through the windows of the chamber. She was breathtakingly beautiful. Her emerald green eyes were a treasure to look at and her facial features could leave men in shock.

"Risa, how many times have I told you to drop the formalities, just address me as father." The Overseer said warmly.

She was a splitting image of her mother, Risa Apocalypse, Otto's older sister. Their father was rather fond of her. While she had her mothers looks she had her father's mind. The Apocalypse family didn't know it but the Overseer, Nikolas Apocalypse was planning to make her the next Overseer of Shicksal as long as she continued to prove herself.

"Overseer I'm already being as informal as the situation calls for after all I didn't bow."

"Risa, why do you play with your father like this?"

Risa rolled her eyes and ignored her father.

"I'm here to report that, Otto Apocalypse has turned as well and should be treated as a traitor."

"No matter, that really doesn't matter."

"It seems my dear brother is rather loyal to his friends."

"Perhaps, how is their relationship?"

"A strong friendship, nothing more. Why does that matter?"

Risa was a bit curious after all there was little merit in combining the Kaslanas and the Apocalypse family at the moment. With all honesty it would cause a lot of problems to their current plans. Securing strong heirs was not a high priority at the moment and turning the family's genius into a rabbit was not a good investment. They needed the Kaslanas to be separate from the Apocalypse family for the time being.

"I'm just interested in securing the happiness of my children. Haahahah."

Lies, Risa knew her father was putting up an act. Though he shared with her some of his plans she was sure he had more. While her father wasn't very old he was growing old. His mind was dropping and only she could tell. He only acted in this undignified manner in front of her. But she was sure her father hadn't lost his touch yet. He was sure to be scheming under that playful and fatherly demeanor. She had plans of her own, her own ambition, though she was born with a beautiful appearance she had no beauty within her. The Apocalypse household was a terrible place to raise children.