Chapter 38 Pins

<Vienna>

Emelia Wagner, the Lacquered Prison woke up in chains. Dull pain assaulted her stub of a hand, her strength had fallen treacherously. The fingers she still had grasped air involuntarily as if still in shock of Kallen's wrath. Emelia was in a dungeon with a hard stone floor, it was pitch black with no distinguishable features. Despite her limited and pained senses, she could tell that it wasn't the church that had taken her away. Emelia had danced precariously around two disasters and now she was paying the price. The sound of heels echoing against the cold stone floor perked her attention, her tormentor had come. The person in question that had come to interrogate Emelia carried a lantern of exquisite quality. But this quality paled in comparison to the fashionable clothes she wore. Unsuitable, out of place, such a fair noble maiden should not be wandering the halls of such a dreary dungeon. But here she was seemingly in her element. The woman stopped at Emelia's cell and set the lantern down a clank.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Wagner."

Emelia's eyes flickered in confusion as she recognized the figure before her.

"Am I in the custody of the church?"

"No, you're in my custody, I'm here in fact to judge you for your failure Miss Wagner."

"So coveting your brother was pointless?"

"My dear baby brother is considerably more useful free than tied down. Miss Wagner, why did you go for him?"

There was no compassion in her voice, Risa Apocalypse made no movement yet Emelia tried to back herself up despite sitting against the wall. If Emelia was a venomous serpent Risa was a draconic tyrant.

"My apologies, I overstepped my bounds."

"That's no answer, Miss Wagner."

"I-I wished for a higher position, to prove myself, your brother is hot."

"Was the price you paid worth it?"

"Yes."

Risa raised a brow, Emelia had given up her hand, her position, and her life for a chance to climb higher. Such ambition could be useful in the future. The contract she obtained with Otto's signature was not completely useless, in the right situation, it could be a trump card. The situation Kallen had created could also be used against the people. Emelia, despite her failures, had procured a decent hand through her own ability and luck.

"If I were to end your life at this moment would you resist?"

"To the bitter end. If there's a chance I live I'll take it. If there's a chance to ascend to the top I sacrifice everything to reach it."

Emelia's shell of cowardice and fear parted away. Her creed was unbreakable, her last source of strength. Everything she did, she did selfishly. Risa liked what she saw, a rough gem that needed to be polished properly.

"Then I'll offer you a chance to prove yourself. Play the role of a puppet and I'll personally help you reach the top."

Emelia had nothing to lose, her eyes reflected the resolve she had declared.

"I'll comply."

Risa licked her lips in satisfaction, she discovered a valuable pawn that had the drive to succeed. Her ambition wouldn't be a problem, Risa had experience manipulating people more ambitious than Emelia.

"If I may, Lady Apocalypse, ask a presumptuous question."

"Ask away."

"Your position in the Black Rose, where do you stand?"

"High."

Emelia squinted her eyes to make out the expression of Risa Apocalypse she was smiling innocently. Risa gave nothing up to Emelia, which chilled Emelia's bones with fear and respect.