Chapter 10 Part 1: Never Mess With a Black Widow

PRINCIPAL CLEVELAND PRODUCTION FACILITY - Two days later

LOKI: Scarlett is in Wardrobe now, so she won't see what we have for her until tonight.

TOM: Only with your magic could we accomplish that prank. It was a better choice to play on her than some of the things the others found in their trailers. Since I was in here the entire time, we could pin it on someone else.

LOKI: Why would we when it's such a brilliant practical joke?

Tom smiled as the wardrobe crew assisted him with the myriad of costume pieces, knowing plenty of witnesses could confirm the impossibility for him to sneak into Scarlett's trailer at this time. While he had the perfect alibi, with Loki's magical abilities it was possible for him to be in two places at once. If Loki wanted to boldly claim the prank as his own, Tom would let him.

Once all of the parts of the costume were in place, Tom entered the set to the helicarrier prison cage. He smiled and winked at Scarlett, noting that she smiled in return. As the camera crew finished their preparations for the day, he slipped into the plexiglass enclosure for the confrontation scene between Loki and Black Widow. The two waited on their marks for the cues to begin.

"Ready..." the assistant director called, "and... action!"

Loki smiled as he sensed someone behind him. "There's not many people who can sneak up on me." He turned to face his visitor.

Black Widow stood several yards away from the cage. "But you figured I'd come."

"Of course." Slowly Loki walked toward Black Widow, his voice deceptively calm as he approached her. "After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm, and I would cooperate."

"I want to know what you've done to Agent Barton," she stated flatly.

"I'd like to say I've expanded his mind," Loki shrugged.

Black Widow moved closer to the cage. "Once you've won, once you're king of the mountain..." Romanoff stopped and crossed her arms to ask, "what happens to his mind?"

A light smile turned the corners of Loki's mouth. "Is this love, Agent Romanoff?"

"Love is for children. I owe him a debt."

"Tell me," Loki invited as he walked back to the bench in the cage and sat.

"Before I worked for S.H.I.E.L.D.," Romanoff began in a quiet voice, mirroring Loki by sitting on a chair close to the cage, "I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skill set. I didn't care who I stood for, or on. I got on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar in a bad way." She continued with a touch of wistfulness, recalling the memories. "Agent Barton was sent to kill me. He made a different call."

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?" Loki queried.

"Not let you out," she returned smartly.

Loki grinned eagerly at her admission. "Oh, but I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man."

"Regimes fall every day," Romanoff shrugged nonchalantly. "I tend not to weep over that, I'm Russian. Or I was."

"What are you now?"

Black Widow stood as she spoke. "It's really not that complicated. I got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out."

"Can you?" Loki quizzed, doubt in his voice. "Can you wipe out that much red? Drakov's daughter, São Paulo, the hospital fire? Barton told me everything." Romanoff's eyes widened at the implication of Loki knowing all of her past transgressions.