°17•A reminder

Viola

If I want to go to school, I will go to school. Who does he think he is, telling me what to do? I’m fuming inside as I walk to school.

I stop in my tracks, looking in front of me. Hanna and Johnny are in each other’s arms, kissing. They seem to be happy as I was only two days ago. I have to walk away before they see me. They don’t know that I lost the baby. I’m not ready to answer their questions when they’ll learn the truth. I can’t face them.

I have to get out of here and fast.

I turn my heels around and take the stairs as I walk toward the library.

“Oh, look girls, look who it is.” Fiona is pointing at me.

I don’t want to deal with her. My plate is already full as it is.

“Trust me, Fiona. You don’t want to mess with me today.” I warn her.

As she starts to laugh, her minions follow her lead.

The thing I know about her is that she barks, but she never bites.

Well, today, I’m going to bite hard.

I don’t know what came over me. I feel such rage at her constant laughter. I’m sad about the loss of my child. Everything mixed all together makes it all hard to deal with at once.

Instead of dealing with my feelings, I do something unexpected. I push Fionna so hard against the wall that she falls to the ground. All the laughing had stopped. They all look at me with shocking expressions. Trust me, I feel the same way.

Maybe, after all, I wasn’t ready to go back to school so soon.

“YOU BITCH!” Fionna screamed, running toward me.

At the right time, I take a step to the side. Fiona didn’t expect that as she stumbled on her friends. They all coiled together, falling to the ground.

Seeing the scene before me, I can’t myself as I start to laugh. The ones who witness the scene laughed as well.

With humiliation, Fiona stands on her feet once again, growling. “You’re going to regret that you bitch!”

“Miss Evans!” Someone warns her before she has the chance to make her move.

We all turn our heads to see who it was. Miss Summer was standing not far from us with her arms folded in front of her. She wasn’t impressed.

Miss Summer clears her throat. “Can you explain your behaviour?”

Fiona tosses her hair behind her shoulder as if nothing had happened between us. “It was nothing. It was just a little misunderstood. Isn’t that right, Viola?”

I know she only said that so she wouldn’t get in trouble.

I let out a sigh, wanting to smack her head. “Yes, Miss Summer, it was just a misunderstanding between us. It’s all good now.” Those last words, I want to vomit them.

Miss Summer takes a deep breath, pinching the bridge of her nose. She didn’t believe a word we said. “Miss Evans, you and your friends can go.” She turns her attention to me. “Miss Lenox, you come with me.”

As Fiona and her minions walk away, she turns her head with a smug written on her face. She’s happy how all this ended. Her expression was telling me that she won this round. I know it won’t be the last I will hear from her.

Miss Summer titles her head to the side. “Walk with me.”

As we walked in the hallway of the school, Miss Summer put her hand on her stomach, caressing it lightly.