SEVEN. the hive mind

THE HIVE MIND
season two — episode eight

— THE HIVE MINDseason two — episode eight

CHAPTER SEVEN

AS SOON AS THEY had heard those distant screeches, they immediately got to work on trying to get inside of the lab. They circled around each other, the ones who were familiar with each other discussing random things that Oliver truly wasn't listening to. His eyes were fixated on the eery-looking lab in front of him.

His eyebrows furrowed when the lights suddenly turned on and he shoved Lucas and Dustin out of the way, getting closed. "Guys." They turned to him, which forced them to also look at the lab. "The power's back," Nancy mumbled before the capable ones ran over to what seemed to be a control booth.

Jonathan scrambled inside and started pushing down on all of the buttons, praying that one of them would open the barb-wired gate that kept them from getting inside. Oliver made it to the other side just as Dustin started to shove Jonathan out of the way, trying to have his go at opening the door when his attempts failed. "Let me try."

Jonathan stayed where he was and Dustin wrapped his hand around one of his arms, shoving him back. "Let me try, Jonathan!" He hovered his thumb over the big red 'OPEN' button before continuing pressing down on it, frowning when he realized his attempts were failing as well.

"Son of a bitch! You know what. . ." He didn't give up, however, and continued to press the button nonstop. Oliver smiled softly at him, beginning to grow quite fond of the boy. Oliver turned his head when a faint beep echoed around them. He raised an eyebrow when the gate opened but didn't think much of it. He assumed that they had to have restarted everything since they had supposedly shut down the lab.

"Hey! I got it!" Oliver highly doubted that it was him who unlocked the gate but let him have his fun. Nancy and Jonathan scrambled into Jonathan's car, quickly telling the others to stay there before they sped off, leaving them in the cold October weather while they hoped their friends were okay.

Oliver leaned up against the control booth, the adrenaline he had was finally wearing off and his leg was killing him. He looked down at his leg, pulling up his pant leg ever-so-slightly. He frowned at the sight of the makeshift bandage that was wrapped around it already soaked in blood. Thank god he didn't wear his favorite jeans.

Steve caught sight of him and frowned, slowly making his way over to him. He sat down on the yellow half-pillar that was beside him, facing away from him. "So. . ." Oliver didn't look over at him, only staring at the shiny metal gates in front of him. "How are you handling all this?"

Oliver laughed, shaking his head at the unbelievably stupid question. "Well, for one, I almost died while fighting a dog-lizard and then I find out there's a lab that makes fucking human weapons. . ." He turned to him as Steve did too, a sarcastic and bitter smile on his face. "I'm doing swell." Steve laughed softly, turning to face him now.