TWO. the annoyance called steve harrington

THE ANNOYANCE CALLED STEVE HARRINGTON
season two — episode one

— THE ANNOYANCE CALLED STEVE HARRINGTONseason two — episode one

CHAPTER TWO

     THE NEXT MORNING WENT pretty smoothly for Oliver. He actually had nothing to do and was planning on going grocery shopping while his parents were at work.

      He had gotten ready early in the morning, and by that, he means running his hands through his hair a couple of times and throwing on some baggy jeans and a t-shirt. He topped this all off with a pair of white converse.

      He also had two necklaces around his neck and a few rings.

      He was getting ready to leave when he heard his doorbell ring. He furrowed his eyebrows before making his way to the front door, looking out of the peep-hole. He sighed in annoyance at the sight of Steve Harrington's stupid hair.

      He unlocked his door before opening it, and the first thing he was greeted with was a lopsided grin. "Hey there, Ollie. How are ya?" Oliver gave him a stare, one of his hands wrapped around his bag that was slung over his shoulder.

      "I thought I told you to call me..." He mumbled, not breaking eye contact with the taller male. "Well... I was already in the neighborhood, so I thought I would stop by." Steve smiled at him once more, leaning against one of the pillars on his porch.

      "And by in the neighborhood do you mean you were hanging out with Nancy?" Steve felt his smile falter for a moment before shaking his head. "No. No. That's not it..." Oliver gave him a look, showcasing that he didn't believe him.

      "Well I have to go grocery shopping, do you think you could come by a little later?" Oliver silently hoped that the man would forget and not stop by at all after this.

      "Or... I can go with you, and help you out a bit. It's the least I can do for you putting up with me and my stupid brain." Oliver rubbed his eyes a little, sighing again. "No..."

      Steve pursed his lips. "C'mon Ollie. Let me help you." Oliver didn't like how that was worded but didn't say anything about it. "Fine... but if you get on my nerves I will kick you." Steve grinned and nodded. "Fine with me."

      Steve waited for Oliver to lock his door before leading him to his car. Oliver got into the passenger seat, immediately feeling weird. He wasn't in cars very often. He was always either riding a bike or skateboarding. Steve got in the driver's seat, flipping on the radio almost immediately, almost as if he knew it would be awkward without it. Oliver looked at his rings or shoes the whole trip, a little anxious if was going to be honest.

      As soon as Steve got to the supermarket, both of them got out of the car without saying a word. Oliver had a death grip on his bag and because of this, a few rings were digging into his skin.

      Steve grabbed a shopping cart, following after Oliver as the shorter grabbed a box of cereal. "Ah, frosted flakes. You have taste." Oliver shrugged his shoulders a bit, pursing his lips, but he didn't say a word.

      Steve sighed a little, obviously disappointed that Oliver wasn't interested in him. What was up with him anyway? Nobody knew anything about him, and Steve truthfully didn't know he existed until a few months ago, despite having a class with him in eighth grade. It was almost like he was one with the shadows. Mysterious and dark. Steve couldn't help but feel drawn to him. He wanted to know more about the 'mysterious' boy.

      Oliver felt a pair of eyes burning holes on the back of his head and rolled his eyes, turning towards Steve. "Would you stop staring, please?" Steve swallowed thickly but nodded. "Oh, yeah... sorry."

      Oliver handed Steve a piece of paper that had a few groceries on them. "Go get these, please. Meet me in aisle six." Steve nodded and passed the shopping cart to Oliver, starting to walk towards the cold foods section of the store. Eggs and milk. Easy enough.

      Oliver walked to an aisle, grabbing the groceries he needed and placing them in the cart. He looked up at the highest shelf, pursing his lips as he saw something he needed. However, when he tried to grab it, he couldn't reach it despite standing on the tips of his toes. He sighed in frustration.

      He tried once more but this time was interrupted by someone grabbing the item and handing it to him. "Here." Oliver glanced up at the boy, being met with none other than Steve 'the man' Harrington.

      "Thanks..." He mumbled, noticing that he had the milk and eggs in his hands. "Is that all you need?" Oliver nodded and grabbed the bar on the shopping cart, turning towards the check-out.

      WHEN OLIVER AND STEVE returned to Oliver's house, Oliver immediately started working on putting the groceries away while Steve sat down at the table, working on an essay.

      "When you get done with that could you read over this?" Oliver nodded, knowing that the older was looking at him. "Thanks." Oliver gave him a small thumbs-up as he slid the milk and eggs into his refrigerator.

      As soon as he finished, he sat down and grabbed the paper from Steve, reading over it carefully. "Basketball and war? I don't see the resemblance..." Oliver told him truthfully. Steve bit on his top lip before he started explaining what he meant. "I thought they were sort of similar because we both won." Oliver nodded along slowly. It wasn't a bad idea, but it wasn't the best thing to put.

      "It wasn't a horrible idea, but is there something else you might be able to put instead?" Steve thought for a moment, Oliver could practically see the small gears in his mind turning. He may be stupid, but at least he's trying to get smarter.

      "What if instead, I put..."

      AN HOUR OR TWO passed before the two got done with the essay. Oliver wouldn't admit it out loud, but he was a little proud of Steve. In the rough draft, he walked about playing basketball and his grandfather's experience in a war, and now, he compared basketball with failure and hard work. It may not have been the best essay, but Oliver was running off of an hour of sleep and Steve was driving him a little crazy.

      "It may not be the best essay, but it is worth at least a low A. I wish you luck." Oliver assured Steve, who only smiled back at him.

      "Thanks for all the help, Ollie." Oliver seethed. He despised that nickname. But he didn't want Steve being extra annoying by sulking around everywhere. "No problem, really. That's why I'm here." Steve raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

      "I should probably go now, thanks again." Steve started to pack up a few of his things, making sure not to carelessly throw his essay in his bag and somehow end up losing it. Oliver watched as a pencil rolled off the table and quickly grabbed it, stuffing it in his bag's open pocket.

      "See you tomorrow, Ollie." Oliver watched as the boy walked to the front door. "Yeah, see you tomorrow." Steve turned around and waved before leaving the house, thankfully locking the door behind him.

      As soon as Oliver heard the 'click' of the lock, he threw his head on the table, letting out a few breaths he didn't know he was holding.

      "God, he's so annoying." But for some reason, Oliver had the tiniest smirk on his face that wasn't noticeable unless you were right in his face.

🧍‍♀️