Harry's 13th birthday

Harry smiles shyly after they finish singing him happy birthday.

The number of people at his birthday parties, has gotten smaller through the years.

Only because he doesn't have any close friends at school besides Niall, and he doesn't see a reason to have strangers at his home.

Harry cuts the cake, and as always Louis receives the first slice.

"Do you know that in some cultures, a person is meant to give the first slice of cake to the person they love the most" Robin says, sort of wondering outloud.

Harry grins at that, "Well then, it's a good thing I've always given mine to Louis"

"Mate, I'm right here" niall says, picking up a fork so he can start eating his cake.

"Niall, don't even bother with these two. I bought the cake, yet I'm not deserving of the first slice" Anne jokes.

"Not everyone can be Tommo, but I'm sure you both are close seconds" Louis teases them.

"I don't know about close" Harry mumbles.

"Harry Edward Styles, are you saying your own mother doesn't come anywhere near Louis" Anne exclaims mockingly.

"Mmmh that's what I'm saying, now lou what did you get me for my birthday?"

"Oh right, let me go get it" Louis says, rushing upstairs to Gemma's room where he hid Harry's present.

He's back a minute later.

"That's a big box"

"It's a big gift" Louis says with a grin, handing the gift to harry.

Harry opens it up carefully, "its a laptop? YOU BOUGHT ME A LAPTOP?!"

Louis laughs at his outburst, "Yeah, the job I took during the holidays was to save up so I can buy you one. Then you wouldn't have to share with Gemma, since she's leaving for America soon. You could have your own."

"But you said that, it was so you wouldn't bother your mom with expenses for food when you get to university?" Harry asks, voice filled with disbelief.

"I know but, this way we can Skype all the time. You know, and you won't ever have to miss me"

Harry puts down the present, jumping to wrap his legs around Louis's waist and his arms around his neck.

"Thank you sooo much lou, I'll call you all the time. Thank you" Harry says, squeezing back tears at the thought that Louis is leaving in less than a week.

"I'll call you as well"

They stay like that, wrapped up in each other.

"Boys, should we give you the room then?" Mark says, teasing them.

Harry turns to glare at him, and he raises his hands up in mock surrender.

"Harry love, get down... this is your party...it's rude to ignore your guests" Louis tells him.

"It's literally just our family and friends" Harry huffs, but nevertheless gets down.

"Do you want to see our presents?" Lottie asks.

"Sure, what did you get me?"

"Nail polish" she tells him, even before he can open the box.

"Why?" He squeaks.

"Lou told me you used to play with barbie as a kid. And barbie has pink nails, so I thought you might like it." She reasons.

"Uuum right, well thank you Lottie" he says, putting it down next to Louis's gift uncertainly.

They all hand him their gifts, and he turns to look at Gemma whose yet to give him a gift.

"Uuum well, I got you train tickets. To Manchester, so you could visit lou. I didn't actually buy them, I have the money for when you want to buy them" she says, trying to hide how much of an effort she put into telling him that.

"REALLY? you're the best sister in the world! Gems thank you, thank you soo much" Harry exclaims, wrapping her arms around Gemma.

She chuckles, relieved that harry actually liked her gift this year.

"You're welcome, little bro"

They let go of each other with soft smiles, and Anne looks at them proudly.

***
"Do you think I should wear nail polish?" Harry asks Louis, much later as they're watching TV together.

"I don't think you should do anything Harry. If you want to wear nail polish then go for it. If you don't want to, then don't" Louis says, eyes focused on the TV.

Harry can see Louis's attention isn't on him, so he just crawls into Louis's lap and lays his head on his chest.

"You don't think its weird, cause I'm a boy" Harry asks nervously playing with Louis's fingers.

"Harry, I bought you your first barbie. Do you really think, I'd find it weird if you wore nail polish"

"That's different, I was a child. I didn't know better"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I just mean that, you don't really see many boys wearing nail polish. And I don't want to start high school and get bullied cause I'm the boy who wears nail polish"

"If anyone touched you, i would kill them" Louis says, clearly meaning every word.

Harry smiles at that, "I know"

"Good, so wear it if you want... don't if u don't want" Louis shrugs, turning his attention back to the TV.

Harry pulls the bottle out of his jacket pocket, "ok, put it on me then"

"You really don't want me to watch this movie huh?" Louis says, reaching for the nail polish.

"You're leaving in a week, all your attention should be on me" Harry says simply.

"My attention hasn't been on anyone else, for 13 years. You don't have to compete with the TV for my attention" Louis teases.

"Well, you're watching Grease again... so obviously I have to compete with her"

"Her who?"

"Danny's girlfriend what's her face?" Harry says, acting like he forgot what her name is.

Louis laughed loudly, "you think I keep re watching the film cause I have a crush on sandy?"

"Clearly why else would you watch it?"

"I just love the film, it's a great film harry" Louis says, dismissing Harry's question.

"Yeah whatever, do my nails" Harry says shoving his hands in Louis's face.

"I can't very well do your nails, if you're trying to poke my fuckin eyes out Harold" Louis hisses.

"Was not" he mumbles.

Louis shakes his head, putting his hands on Harry's waist to lift him up so he's not sitting as close to his face.

"Alright let's see how you look with your nails painted pink"