Nine

Jeremy

"Hey, hey! Look what the cat drug in."

I could feel Wyatt's body next to me tremble with laughter as we walked into his former office space. Many guys had instantly jumped up to greet him the moment we walked into the office. So many people were excited to see him that it made me feel like shit that he would be away from them. I watched them all greet him with hugs and high fives before everyone turned towards me. Having so many eyes on me was making my palms instantly sweat.

"Everyone, this Jeremy," Wyatt said as he gave me a soft smile. "He's a very special person in my life."

That alone made butterflies fly into my stomach; I still didn't understand how he was always so nice. The plane to New York was pretty fun, he spent the time telling me about the different sights we'd see and things we'd do. The first stop would be his office then the sightseeing would start later. But seeing him laugh with his previous coworkers was making me frown a little. I really hope this was a decision he wouldn't regret.

They all greeted me but I could feel some not so nice stares coming my way. It made me want to sink into the ground as I slightly waved. I also felt very out of place in my cowboy boots, jeans and flannel shirt. But from the way everyone was staring at me I wish I would have just dressed not so much like a farm boy. But since all I knew was being a farm boy, I didn't know how else to dress. No one else in this room seemed like the type to wear boots or a flannel... but I was in the city. Very different from our small Iowa home.

Once all the introductions were made some of the guys went back to work as Wyatt led me towards another office. There was a lawyer looking guy inside with another guy.

"Wyatt," non-lawyer guy said as he stood up and wrapped Wyatt into a hug. "Great to see you man."

"You too Will. Jeremy, this is one of my closest work friends Will. And this is my company lawyer Mr. Wilson. Gentlemen, this is Jeremy."

We exchanged pleasantries before Wyatt looked down at me again. "I'll come find you when I'm done, okay?"

"I'll be around," I said with a smile before exiting the room.

I didn't want to interrupt him during this pretty important meeting, even though I know he'd say I could stay. He was just so nice; sometimes I wondered if he was really interested in me or just being pleasant. My mind instantly wandered to the day I taught him how to fish, how we might have kissed. And also the night outside the bar when we danced, moments like those seemed like he could really be into me. But I wasn't about to get excited over the possibility of an imaginary scenario. It was just too hard to give my heart away, again. I quickly shook my head and continued on down the hallway.

My eyes went all over the walls and stopped when I came upon a bulletin board. There were many pictures of company picnics and family days. A smile crossed my face when I saw pictures of Wyatt in a hard hat smiling next to friends, all seeming happy. It made me that much sadder that he was selling this business.

"Hey there." I jumped upon hearing a voice next to me, looking over to see a friendly looking guy. "Sorry to scare you!" He had a buzzed head and muddy brown eyes. "I'm Lenny."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Jeremy."

My eyes couldn't help but travel back to the bulletin board and all the pictures. "We've had some great memories here," Lenny said as I looked back over at him. "But I'm happy Wyatt is leaving. I love the man don't get me wrong, but he's just seemed so down lately."

"Really? How so?"

"When he first started this company he was so energetic and really into it. Lately he just hasn't seemed like himself, and really just seemed sad. It just seemed that lately his whole demeanor has changed, he really doesn't seem to enjoy being here. I mean see for yourself."