Chapter 11

"Tell me about Amanda."

Britney paused in her efforts to finish folding her laundry. "Amanda? What do you want to know about her?"

Brian shrugged. "I don't know. How long have you known her? Why isn't she married?"

Britney swallowed, then looked away. "She was married. When she was very young. But it didn't work out. And since then...she just hasn't found the right man. She is intelligent, bright, funny and caring. She is special."

Brian was frowning slightly then waved Britney's defense of Amanda. " you don't need to convince me. I have been with her a lot lately, and I like her too." He was silent for a moment then shook his head. "I didn't know she had been married. It was rough, huh?"

"I...ah, Amanda is a very private person, Brian. I don't feel  comfortable talking about her."

"I didn't mean to pry. I just think its a shame she doesn't have someone special."

Britney turned and looked at him. "She told me y'all went to the movies."

"Yeah it was really fun. I enjoyed it. It is nice to be out with someone without having to worry how the night will end. It was actually better than being with the guys.I didn't have to listen and return, all the raunchy jokes about sex and who enjoyed their latest conquest. It was comfortable. Do you know what I mean?"

Very gently Britney smiled at him. "Don't look so confused Brian. I know exactly what you mean. Bobby says he felt the same way after he met me. With other women and his male friends, there was always a certain face he had to wear a certain way he was expected to act. Around me he can just be himself."

"There was a major difference there Brit. Bobby couldn't keep his hands off you."

Her sudden burst of laughter was quickly cut off. "That is true enough, thank heavens. I don't suppose you suffered the same thing with Amanda?"

"Amanda?  That woman gives new meaning to the word bad taste. Her clothes are alone enough to make my stomach churn. And there were several times I would have dearly loved to yank those damn glasses off her nose and stomp on them."

"I have had the same thought myself, Brian. But Amanda wont ever change. She wont dress to suit other people. And she is comfortable with herself and her style she has chosen."

"What style? There is no style to her." He grinned suddenly and admitted. "I wondered what she would look like naked, without her hair being tortured behind that braid."

Britney's mouth dropped open then she yelled. "Brian Mead! Don't you dare seduce my friend out of idle curiosity. I would never forgive you!"

Brian stood glancing at his watch. He sighed. "You don't want me to have any fun Brit."

"Have some fun with another woman. But you leave Amanda alone."

"Amanda is safe enough." Then he added. " You sure you wont tell me who the harem girl was?"

"I cant I promised her I wouldn't."

" But why? What is she hiding?"

"She...she knows your reputation. And...and I guess she doesn't want to get involved." Britney shrugged. "I'm sorry."

Brian worked his jaw in frustration. "She doesn't trust me?"

"well...no."

He exploded "What is it with you women? I am not some over charged male bimbo! Doesn't anyone allot me the benefit of having scruples?"

"You women?" Britney grinned at him. "This sounds like a Amanda lecture. Has she been rough on you?"

"One minute yes. I get the feeling she doesn't think very highly of me. But then she will laugh and be outrageously funny." He paced a few feet away. "She keeps me guessing."