Chapter 3

Amanda felt frozen in place. She could feel his eyes drifting over her body, could hear every breath he took. She didn't know what to do. He couldn't of recognized her yet he obviously liked what he saw. She had never seen a man react that way , not to her. She couldn't speak, her voice was trapped in her throat.

He whispered softly "You are beautiful."

Her eyes shifted nervously with the racing of her heart. Britney had said me would find her attractive, but... She hadn't believed her, not really. Usually, Brian never looked at her twice, but then, he had never seen her dress like this either.

The costume was  definitely a mistake

Brian was still watching her, and she inhaled. She had to say something. "You look...Dangerous?"

His teeth flashed in a quick grin. "Not dashing?"

Confused, she shook her head. In an even lower tone, sounding of accusation and anticipation, she asked. "What happened to your date?"

He tipped his head, as if he was straining to hear her, then carefully stepped away from the door. "She wasn't my date."

Liar, she thought. A man like him wouldn't come to a party alone. He attracted beautiful women without even trying. And Jennifer was certainly that, beautiful chic, sophisticated and very sure of her own appeal.She was everything Amanda was not.

So why was Brian here now? She had always been aware of him, he was impossible to ignore. Dark charming a devastating man. But completely unattainable. At least for her.

Of course, after her disastrous marriage, she didn't want any man, not even Brian Mead.

He took another step forward when she remained silent, and she went back one bumping into the wall.

He was watching her so very closely almost stalking her and she could feel he chest shuddering straining for air. She trembled inside, felling lightheaded and conscious of him as a male. She didn't dare take her eyes off him.

He took another step.

The rain was coming down more heavily now, tapping against the windows and the wind had begun to whistle. Amanda was glad for the darkness. She didn't want reality to intrude too quickly. She didn't want him to recognize her. Not yet.

Maybe not ever.

He started to reach for her, then dropped his hand. "Do you know who I am?"

Shew shook her head. "No" She didn't even know this man at all, so intense and attentive, exuding raw sexuality. The air was filled with his scent, his purpose.

His eyes drifted over her body again, then he stared into her eyes.

She didn't dare say anything. What was there to say? He wasn't reacting to Amanda Hansen. He was reacting to the night, to the atmosphere and the mystery of a masquerade. If he knew who she was he would lose interest quickly enough. He would give her that same polite nod she always received from him, then go on his way.

Brian stepped toward her and she balked, feeling her back against the wall. It ould be mortifying for him to realize her identity no, with her acting like such a ninny. She was a professional woman a teacher mature and capable. And here she was behaving like  coward. A virgin coward.

She knew in that instant she wouln't tell him. He would never find out who she was, She had to leave, had to...

His hand caught her arm. "Wait please."

She trembled, trying to pull loose, stunned by the strength of his grasp.

He released her instantly. Holding his hands out to the sides,he tried softly to assure her. "It's ok I am sorry,"

She trembled again, and he said. "You're cold."

Swamped with uncertainly wanting to do one thing, but knowing she should do another, Amanda turned away. Then Brian was behind her, not touching her but the warmth of his body surrounded her. She felt a pulse beat of heat run through her swirling in her belly. The feeling was UN familiar....and exciting. As his breath brushed her neck, she shivered with growing sensation.

His palms grazed her shoulders smoothing the way the chills and he dampness from the rain, warming her. She was surrounded by him, by his scent.

His touch was tentative, careful, and when she didn't move he leaned closer, His chest barely touching her back his thighs brushing her own. She shuddered.

His fingers continued to stroke feather light, up and down her arms. He drew in a slow rough breath, then molded his hands over her shoulders, holding he. She felt his suspended breathing, his hesitation. And when he finally spoke his voice was low and unsteady.

"I want you. I think I wanted you the moment I saw you."

She stilled as his lips lightly touched the side of her neck. Slowly he drew her toward him, her back against his chest then waited keeping her pressed close to his solid length.

"I want you," He repeated. "Stay with me."

Only in her wildest imaginings had she ever considered Brian saying such a thing to her. It was unbelievable. It was outrageous.

It was her own private fantasy.

She swallowed hard. squeezed hr eyes shut, then whispered "I want you too."