Chapter 12

Amanda saw Brian's car pull up to the curb in front of Britney's. His arrival was unexpected, and she went perfectly still. He jerked the car into park, then jumped out, appearing determined, more than determined, if the look on his face was any indication. He disappeared past the window, then came to the kitchen door.

He knocked sharply, once then stepped inside without waiting for an answer. Britney met him there, her hands on her hips, blocking his vision of the kitchen table where Amanda sat.

"Brian! What are you doing here?"

"I insist you tell me who she is."

"Who?"

He gave her a look of impatience. "Enough Britney. You know who I mean. The harem girl. Who is she?"

Britney rolled her eyes. "For the last time, Brian. No!"

Amanda wanted to disappear. It was a miserable Sunday morning, aptly suited for her mood. She'd come to Britney's for solace, her emotions in turmoil. Nothing was as it had been only days before. She didn't know what to think, what to do. She had learned so much lately. Too much.

One thing was for certain, she couldn't just look at her experience with Brian as a sexual lesson. Her one date with him had prov-en that. Brian had touched more than her body. He had thrown away the misconceptions she'd had about herself, stolen fears and her disappointments.

And now that she saw him nearly everyday, she feared he might very well be stealing her heart.

She couldn't let that happen. She needed time to think, to reason out her reactions. But here was Brian wanting to know who she really was. It was too ironic to bear.

"Your friends are something else Brit. They are driving me crazy." He ran his hands through his hair, the gesture filled with frustration.

"Friends?"

"Don't sound so innocent. First the Harem girl refuses to tell me who she is. Then Amanda refuses to return my calls. I asked her out, all she can say is no. I swear that woman is totally--"

Britney interrupted him then, clearing her throat loudly and gesturing with her eyes to draw his attention to the kitchen table. He looked and Amanda saw his beautiful eyes narrow slightly.

His annoyance seemed to disappear, he became almost cheerful." What the hell is the matter with you? You look awful."

After shooting him a discussing frown she turned away. "I have a cold." Amanda said she sincerely hoped he wouldn't question her further, because her swollen sleepy eyes had little to do with illness,.

"And that made your hair all frizzy?"

"No that didn't make my hair all frizzy." She mimicked him perfectly. "I jogged over here in the rain, and the rain made my hair go frizzy."

Brian scrutinized her. "You just said you had a cold! Why the hell are you out in the rain?"

"I jog every Sunday. Why should today be any different? A little rain never killed anyone." She knew she was being more waspish than usual, but she hadn't planned on having to face him this morning. Her heart ached, and her head followed suit.

"No. Rain doesn't kill, it makes people's hair go frizzy." Brian grinned. "At least a few strands found the excuse to escape that infernal braid. Its probably a hair rebellion."

He laughed at his own joke, and Amanda stiffened at the sound. She pushed her glasses up then lifted her chin. "Maybe I should go now, Brit. Brian obviously has something he wants to discuss with you. And I hate to get stuck in the down pour anyway."