Chapter 10

"I cant believe you chose this movie."

Amanda smiled in the dim theater, very aware of Brian sitting beside her. He was dressed in jeans and a dark sweater. She could smell his aftershave , and his own natural masculine scent. It was comforting, stimulating and very distracting. "I love Mel Gibson."

"Now why does that surprise me? Oh yeah, You have made it clear to me on several occasions that macho sexy men are low on your list."

"No. I made it clear that men who thought they were macho sexy men were low on my list."

"Dont look at me like that! I never claimed to be macho."

"Are you claiming to be sensitive instead?"

"Certainly. Especially in specific areas. Like low on my stomach, the top of my spine..."

Amanda's breath caught and her skin suffused with heat. He wasn't lying. She remembered all too well just how sensitive he was in those areas. Through out that one special night he'd shown her how to give as well as take, and she enjoyed each lesson.

She elbowed him roughly to cover her reaction. " You are impossible."

"Naw." He waited a heartbeat. "Just very sensitive."

"Hush, the movie is starting." Amanda knew she sounded rude, but she didn't care. Brian's flirting was just that, flirting. He did it with every woman he came in contact with. It shouldn't mean anything and likely wouldn't if she wasn't the mystery woman. But she was, and his words effected her in numerous ways. Her head knew he wasn't serious but her heart jumped into a wild cadence of excitement every time he teased.

"Lesson number one Amanda, you don't tell your date rudely to hush."

She shifted her gaze peering at him in the darkness. " Not even when the movie is starting and he is yakking on about his sexuality and very personal preferences?"

"That's right. You should have told me where you are sensitive too."

"Oh, well lets see, my feet?"

"You are not trying to get in the mood here are you?"

She chuckled, feeling some of her tension ebb at his dry expression. Leaning slightly toward him, she nudged him affectionately  with her shoulder. The action surprised them both, and Brian whispered. "That's better," then boldly put his arm around her.

It felt good. Comforting and exciting at the same time. But she had to remind herself this was only a game to him. And she was only a distraction.

"You shouldn't stiffen up so either." he added. "I'm not getting fresh. Just relax."

The words had been whispered gently in her ear. She could of added it as another sensitive spot, yes indeed. He was being so careful with her, lightly teasing and so solicitous. She wanted to lean into him, to feel more of his heat against her side. Instead she stared straight ahead.

"Shh. Don't make me miss this movie."

It would be OK Amanda thought, once she managed to relax a little. Brian would never connect her with the pool house. And he wasn't attempting to fondle her, his hand wasn't moving from her shoulder and he wasn't drawing her nearer to his body. He was just...there. Firm. Nice. Male.

They shared a huge bucket of extra buttery popcorn and a large coke. Amanda felt Brian's eyes on her when she unconsciously licked the butter from her fingers, but when she turned to him he didn't Say a word.  He looked perplexed, annoyed and exasperated. Amanda frowned at him but he shook his head and looked away. She couldn't begin to decipher his thoughts, and a few seconds later he excused himself to go buy some candy. He returned with a box of chocolates.

"After all that popcorn you have room for candy?"

Her tone had been whispered soft and he answered in kind. "You are doing it again. You dont talk to your date as if he os a glutton. You should say Oh candy! and thank him for it."

She contrived a blank expression. "Oh candy thank yuou!"

He laughed out loud, prompting the people behind him to a grumble complaint.

Amanda whispered. "I gather by your display of humor, I didn't do it right?"

"You are amusing, Amanda. You really are. Thank you for coming with me tonight."

Her throat felt tight when she tried to smile. She dropped her gaze to her lap for a moment then raised it to look at him. "I am having a good time, too. Thank you for asking me."

He held her eyes a moment longer, tightened his arm around her in an affectionate squeeze then turned his attention back to the screen. Amanda silently studied his profile. He wasn't the puffed up conceited egomaniac she had accused him of being. At least not now, not with her.

Probably because he was with her, he wasn't trying to impress or seduce her. He claimed boredom, but she wasn't all that certain that was possible given his reputation.There was no doubt Brian Mead could have a different date every night of the week, without resorting to asking her out.

But it was nice being with him, knowing he didn't really see her as a woman but rather than a companion, someone to spend a few hours with. She thought of the party and trembled.

Brian accepted that she was thick plain and greatly lacking good taste. He made no bones about detesting her choice in clothing. But it had taken only a few small modifications, a wig, colored contacts, and he hadn't recognized her at all.

With each passing hour she found herself growing more attracted to hi. It started out being strictly physical. After all Brian Mead was the kind of man girls dreamed about and women fantasized over. And Amanda had recently lived a few of those fantasies. But now she realized how easily she could lose her heart.

Amanda thought about the woman she used to be, so frivolous so anxious to attract her husbands attention, waiting and needing his approval. She failed dismally then, and eventually had learned a valuable lesson. Not that she blamed her husband entirely for she had failed him in numerous ways. But he hadn't even tried to be patient with her. He'd thrown out accusations without remorse  or consideration to her age and inexperience. At first she'd been crushed that she wasn't a sexual person that she'd failed in the most basic female concepts.

She was older now, wiser no longer taken by men and their promises. Her husband hadn't wasted any time in finding someone who suited his sexual tastes better than she did. It didn't hurt anymore to remember nor didn't fill her with disappointment and self-reproach. She vowed never again to be that vulnerable. And she'd never been tempted to waver from the pledge.

Until Brian. Now she had a night to herself, a special night to remember when she felt the loneliness that would surely come one day.

Gaining Brian's friendship was fun, but knowing him as a man for that one special night was a memory she would repeatably indulge in recalling. Without even trying, he made her feel things she had never felt before, things she had thought herself incapable of feeling. He'd proving her husband had been wrong about her. That would have to be enough.

She would have to be very careful that he never came suspicious. And more friendly casual dates would have to be forgotten. She couldn't risk it. The possibility of emotional hurt was too great. But the program? Could she distance herself, even while working with him for hours on end? It wouldn't be easy but she had no choice.