40: Chaos and cries

Y/N POV:
-Ok Barb and the list on the fridge is if any emergency was to happen, and don't forget that if you feel uneasy, just text and I'll come back right away, I reassure as the bus waits for me to leave to Bergen town again.
-I know, I know! Barb waves her off.
-Barb, I'm serious. If you start feeling anxious in any way you HAVE to call me, understand? I say sternly.
-Yes. C'mon babe, how bad could it be? Last time it went as smooth as butter, She says.
-Barb... I say.
-Yes, I promise to text you! She then says.
-Ok great, I breathe.
-Now go have fun, but not too much fun without me! She says.
-Alright, I'll see you in a month or so, I say and I peck her lips before I finally head to the waiting bus.

One week later:
This past week has been going magnificently! The funk family have all started recording and Barb is answering my texts! I might just be the happiest troll on earth.
-Ok guys, guys, take 5, and then we'll record track 7 before dinner, alright? I say into the mic and the trolls step out of the booth.
-So, prince D, what's good? I ask as the twins approach me.
-Nothing much, and for you? How's you and Barb?
-We're good. Right now we're training her separation anxiety and I'm so proud of her. She hasn't called or texted me that anything is wrong so I'm guessing she's doing good, I say.
-Alright! That's some good work! Cooper says.
-Yeah! Tell her we said hi, prince D says before they go out of the studio to do whatever they wanted to do on their break and I take my phone from the desk and text Barb.
"Prince D and Coop wants to say hi and that you're doing a great job! <3"
I send and then put away my phone once the funks get back into the room and we talk for the rest of the break.

Third person POV:
Barb is in fact not doing good. In fear of looking bad after what she told Y/N, she hasn't said anything. She keeps minimum contact because she thinks that she's bothering Y/N at work. Multiple plates has gone to waste. Food has been low in the storage. Barb was a mess. In her tantrum stages she's thrown stuff. Thrown them and left them. Maybe even gotten a few cuts on her hands. She felt like a black hole. Nothing her father said helped. Nothing Riff did helped. The only thing that would help is a bit of aggression or a hug from Y/N. But she can't have that right now. She thinks that Y/N is doing better things than to be with her. It's not true but for Barb it is not hard to believe that that's the truth. Anxious. Depressed. In a mood. She didn't know what her feelings were.

Barb POV:
I can't be seen outside. I'll look like a failure. How am I supposed to show myself around town and still think that everyone wants me as their leader? I should re-crown dad, he's so much better then me at this stuff. I fucking hate this. I'm just happy Y/N locked away my guitar. I'm too mad to search for it. Why am I like this? Why can't I be normal and have normal mommy issues? Why must I turn this way every time Y/N leaves? This is the literal worst...
I'm sitting in my room. Things are scattered across the room after they have been thrown. I have a few broken lamps and stuff. The bed is in complete disarray. More than usual. My hearts beating fast. I see a text notification on my screen. The tears in my eyes makes it hard to read, but when I do I think it gets much worse. Tears stream down my face for the third time today in thought of Y/N. She was my rock but why these texts? Why is she so sweet to me? If she had seen all of this chaos happen when she's here, she would leave me. I'm sure of it. I sigh. I type a message, one that could end it... but would I really feel better? Breaking up with Y/N? No. No I guess not. I delete the message I had typed out. And now what? Y/N will be home in three weeks... how will I survive?

Y/N POV, one more week later:
I've gotten a little confused. Barb doesn't message me back as much and if she does it's after a couple of hours or even the day after. Things felt strange... Doesn't she want me to text anymore?
-Hey Y/N, you good? Cooper asks me. I look up from my phone.
-Hmm? Oh yeah I'm just a little worried, I say.
-Worried? Cooper asks.
-About Barb? Queen Essence asks and joins the conversation.
-Yeah. I mean, I would call but I don't want her to think that I'm clingy or interrupting her. And I also don't want her to feel any pressure to feel good all the time, I say.
-Well I think she's doing fine, don't worry about her, she's a strong woman, queen Essence says.
-Yeah she really is, I smile as I turn to the recording booth, ready to start on the next track.

Third person POV:
Y/N should worry. A lot. Barb has trashed the castle double as much as last week. She doesn't know what to do with herself so everyone has given her the whole left wing of the castle to her, afraid that they might scare her off. Riff tried a couple of times but couldn't help her. King Thrash is still trying. But she was a wreck. She had taken an old guitar from an old room in the castle and tried writing her feelings away but the texts were incomprehensible and so she threw them all out. She's been force fed food and water by her father so that she wouldn't die. But all water she drank she would just cry herself dry of, making her have massive headaches. She's sitting on her bedroom floor, crying with her knees up to her chest and her hand to her face. She's never felt so miserable. Suddenly there's a knock on the door. She quiets her sobs.
-Barb, I uh- it's me, Riff. Your dad got you a big thing of water and a couple of sandwiches. Uhm... I just wanted to say that you can still call Y/N. It's never too late you know. It's better for her to come home than for you to break the castle into pieces, Riff says and laughs dryly.
-Uhm, yeah... just, just so you know that there's a better option for you... yeah I'll just leave now, Riff says and heavy feet walk away from Barbs door. His words only made Barb cry more. She sobs out loudly before fumbling to find her phone somewhere in the mess on the floor. She is desperate to call Y/N, to hear her voice again. Right as she's about to push the call button she hesitates. Should she really do this? What if her people thought less of her because she needed her girlfriends constant reassurance? She decides that it's worth taking the risk. She's rather be happy and an outcast than unhappy and queen. She calls her girlfriend and puts the phone wearily up to her ear and hears the signals go once... twice...

Meanwhile, Y/N is having a blast and singing backup vocals on prince D's songs, one that he specifically wanted Y/N to be on. As they finish recording and cheer for the success of finishing the vocal portion of the song, Y/N's phone rings.
-Oh guys, I gotta take this but you can go back to the hotel, I'll see you at the restaurant later, she says as she walks out to the empty recorders booth and answers her phone.
-Hey Babe, what's up? She asks. On the other end she can only hear a sob and a whimper.
-Barb? Babe? Barb? Barb what's going on? Y/N asks hurriedly.
-I just wanted to hear your voice, that's all, her girlfriends voice sounds weak.
-Barb... Y/N breathes. Then the funks pass by, high five-ing and cheering for half of the production to be done.
-I can hang up if I'm interrupting something, Barb then says.
-No no no no, you're not interrupting anything Barb, you're fine, Y/N says.
-Ok... Barb just says and sniffles. Y/N stands quiet for a moment while she just hears her girlfriend sniffle and whimper on the other end.
-Barb? She then asks.
-Should I come home? She continues.
-No, Barb says without any type of restraint.
-Because I will. I'll pack up right now and come straight home, Y/N insists.
-No. No don't come home. I just wanted to hear you. I miss you, Barb says and then begins crying on the phone.
-Barb it's ok. You're ok. Why didn't you call sooner if you're this worried? Y/N asks.
-Because you had more important things to take care of than to babysit me, Barb then spits back and Y/N can hear through the phone as Barb aggressively dries her tears.
-Barb, nothing is more important to me than you. You hear me? Nothing. And it's not babysitting. It's called taking care of each other. And you would do the same for me. You have done the same for me. Barb? Y/N just confirms that Barb has heard.
-Yeah... Barb answers.
-You understand that I would drop everything here to come home to you right? Y/N asks.
-Yeah... I do, Barb answers, her breathing calming down.
-But you don't need to. I just wanted to feel like you were here again, Barb says. She puts her head on her bed, leaning back and feeling her dry tears and smudged makeup on her cheeks. Her mascara stings as it touches her eyes.
-Alright. Are you sure though? Because I'll go home right now, Y/N says.
-No don't do that... finish the job over there and we'll catch up when you get home, Barb rubs her nose.
-Ok. Do you want me to call tonight before I go to bed? Y/N asks and Barb nods her head, though she realizes Y/N can't see it through the screen.
-Yeah... she just answers.
-Do you want me to call every night? Y/N asks, the funk trolls being long gone and Y/N standing alone in the quiet studio.
-Yeah... that would be nice, Barb answers.
-Alright, then I'll do that... promise me that tomorrow you'll go out and get some sunlight, ok? Y/N asks.
-Sure. I can try, Barb says.
-That's all I ask. I will call you tonight then, Y/N tries to end the phone call.
-Wait Y/N, before you go, Barb stops Y/N. It turns quiet as Y/N waits for Barb to continue.
-I.... Thank you, Barb says. Y/N smiles behind her phone.
-No problem. Call you later, ok? Y/N says again.
-Ok. Bye, Barb says.
-Bye, Y/N says and hears Barb hang up.

Barb takes a deep breath as she puts away her phone. She then fills with relief. And a smell of sweat. So she decides to hop into the shower before she opens her door and grabs the food Riff put out there for her. She then just waited for Y/N to call again, so that she could hear Y/N's voice ring through her brain so she could rock herself to sleep.