27: missed messages

Y/N POV:
Poppy was finally feeling better, after 4 days of hanging out and helping her with queen stuff. She had just had a little rocky path and I tried helping out a little bit. She had never taken on a shared burden and I didn't blame her. We had always done this together and it was weird. But I had a crash course with Branch and now he's gonna help out. We're sitting and just chilling when my phone vibrates for the 22nd time this morning.
-Who's that messaging you? Branch asks.
-I don't know, my notifications has been off since I came here, I say and pick up the phone. I have 8 missed calls and 87 messages from Barb.
-Oh no, I immediately sit up and open my phone.
-What? What's up? Poppy asks.
-Barb has been blowing up my phone since four days ago, I say.
-What? Branch and Poppy scream at me. I hold up a quieting hand and read the messages. They're were angry and sad and I got confused.
-Wait, hold up, I say.
-She's mad or-or sad that I'm here but also when I'm there and I.... What? I say.
-Well what did she write? Poppy asks.
-"Can you come back home?" Next message; "well you're already home why should I care, stay there", next message, "please just come back I need a hug", I read out loud.
-Well it sounds to me like you should go back Y/N, Branch says.
-What? No Poppy needs me too and I just got here, I say.
-Y/N I'm fine now, we can video chat later, now go Barb needs help, Poppy says.
-Yes! I say and scramble away.
-Wait! I stop and turn back.
-How do I get there? I ask.
-Ok let's take the balloon, Branch and Poppy stands up and helps me get back to volcano rock city.

I wave Branch and Poppy goodbye before I rush up to the castle doors and knock like a maniac. I am breathing heavily as I wait for someone to open. I hear the handle rattle before it opens slowly and there stands Barb. She looked wayyyy more tired than normal. Literal bags was hanging under her eyes and she's standing in her pajamas. When she sees me her eyes fill with rage but tears fall from her eyes. I immediately understood.
-Oh Barb, I sigh and immediately go in to hug her. She immediately hugs back and starts sobbing. I push her inside and close the door with one arm. I then push her away.
-What is going on? I ask worriedly.
-You just left and I was all alone and I didn't know what to do and I just felt so mad- Barb, ok breathe, I calm her and guide her through breathing.
-What's going on? I ask slowly.
-You left and I was alone with the others and I just started getting flashbacks and I felt so alone and- and I-I, Barb hacks up and sobs.
-Barb breathe, I remind her and I sit her down by the kitchen table.
-Ok you felt alone, I continue.
-Yeah just like I did when mom left- she cuts herself off and buries her face in her hands.
-Woah, Barb.... Your mom? I ask.
-Yes, she sighs and removes her hands, hanging her head.
-She left when I was 4, just like you did and then never came back... it was just dad and me, she says. I lean over the table to grab her hand. She looks at me and I smile sadly.
-She left just after the concert of my childhood too... I can't loose you like that, Barb says and starts crying again.
-Oh Barb! I quickly gasp and rise to walk to her. I come to her side and hug her and she turns to hug me back.
-She bought me my first popsicle and then she just left. I c-.... I can't do that again Y/N, I-I just can't! Barb expresses.
-Barb I am not leaving! I say.
-But you didn't answer my calls or messages! She sobs.
-Oh Barb I am so so sorry, I should've let the notifications stay on, I apologize. I sigh and lean down to nuzzle her hair. She sobs violently at the action.
-Oh Barb I'm sorry. If you had told me earlier I would've left the notifications on, I say and being my hands up to massage her head. She squeezes my midriff and I feel her tears soaking through my shirt. I let her sit there for a while. I feel her shaking as she sobs and her hands are beginning to grap my shirt and I massage her head in circles.
-It's ok Barb, I'm right here and I won't leave, I comfort.
-Ok? I ask as her breathing calms down slightly.
-Okay... Barb nods and let's go. She forcefully dries her tears but I stop her.
-Don't hurt yourself because of this ok? I say and take my sleeves and dry her tears carefully. She looks up at me with glazed eyes.
-We're ok? I ask. She nods.
-Ok come here, I help her stand up and hug her.
-I'm gonna have to steal a shirt from you, this one's drenched, I joke and I hear a chuckle come from her.
-There she is! Come on, I say and we let go. I grab her hand and drag her to her room... yeah I now realize how bad that sounds.