Chapter 16

He answered it, turned it on speakerphone, and said, "Hey sweetheart, did you guys find Ruth?" Bindi answered but was so quiet, Chandler and Robert almost couldn't hear her. "We did find her but uh.......There's a bit of a situation. Chandler, is your phone on speaker?" Chandler said "Yes." Bindi continued, "Robert, we caught up to Ruth and we talked with her. We were walking back toward you guys but some creepy guy came walking toward us. He tried to rob us; Ruth stopped him, then he grabbed her and pulled her somewhere. We've been looking all over for them but can't find them. We need you guys, Now!"  Chandler turned to look at Robert just in time to see Robert bolt through the mall in the direction Ruth had run earlier. He called out, "Robert, Wait!" Chandler took off running after Robert. Robert kept running till he found Terri, Bindi, and Grace. Bindi was holding Grace close to her when Robert appeared in their sights. He stopped for a minute to find out where Ruth was. No longer than a minute later, Chandler stopped, walked over to his wife and daughter. He hugged them as Robert asked Terri, and Bindi in a hurried tone, "Which direction did you guys see the drongo pull Ruth in?" Bindi hugged Chandler tighter, and she shivered as Grace hugged her side tightly. Terri looked at Robert, pointed, and said, "The guy dragged Ruth down that way toward the furniture store entrance and he could've dragged her clear through there and out to the exit by now." Robert took off running again in the direction his mother had pointed out. He had never run so fast in his life. He got to the furniture store his mother told him about. He looked all over for Ruth but didn't see her anywhere. He stopped to catch his breath when he saw the guy pulling her toward the door. Ruth was being dragged by the same guy that had been following her at the hotel. He had followed her from the hotel to Sydney. Robert was immediately filled with anger and he ran towards them. He walked up to them and tapped the guy on the shoulder.  The guy turned around to be punched in the stomach by Robert's fist. Robert grabbed Ruth's hand tightly, pulled her away from the man's side as the guy doubled over and held his stomach. Robert looked the guy right in the eyes as Ruth hid behind him, and said, "Stay away from my girl, you drongo or I'll do much worse than punch you in the stomach." He had said those words in such a stern voice that Ruth felt a shiver go up her spine. She never knew that Robert could be so scary. The guy nodded his head and agreed to never go near Ruth again. Robert grabbed onto Ruth's hand and tugged her toward the mall. The guy watched as they walked back toward the mall. He knew he wasn't gonna go near that girl again. Robert and Ruth walked till they were out of the furniture store. Robert stopped, let go of Ruth's hand, and he was faced away from her for a minute. Ruth stared at his back for a minute, then she got surprised when he turned around and hugged her. She stood there frozen in place. She felt Robert pull her into a tighter embrace. He didn't have to say a word for Ruth to know what he wanted to say. She tapped him on the shoulder and whispered in his ear, "Hey, I'm okay. I promise. Also, could you let go of me now, I can't breathe." Robert smiled, and let her out of his bone crushing hug.  He looked at her, and replied, "I'm so glad you're okay. When I heard you had been taken I was so scared I'd never see ya' again. When I saw it was that guy from the hotel, I just kinda snapped and my emotions overtook my senses. I was so angry at him, I couldn't hold myself back from punching him. I'm sorry for what I said about your family earlier. If I had just been minding my own business then you wouldn't have been taken by that guy. I'm so sorry R-." Ruth cut him off by hugging him just as tightly as he had hugged her just moments before. It took him a minute to register that she hugged him, and he hugged her back just as tight. They stood there in the middle of the mall hugging each other and not saying a word. They finally let go of each other after about two or three minutes. Robert said, "Well you ready to head back to the car?" Ruth nodded. They started walking; Robert reached down, grabbed Ruth's hand again, and held it as they walked to the car to meet Terri, Bindi, Chandler, and Grace.

*Hey everybody, I had a break in my schedule so I wrote another chapter while I had time to.  I'm probably going to be very busy within the next few weeks, so I may not have time to write much after this.  I hope I'll have time to write this story and work on other stories.  I want to say, "Thanks so much for reading this far and for over 1,500 reads." - GodLover