Soul

~Appolline's infirmary, in the morning~
Pierce punched the wall, leaving fissures in the cracks. His eyes were flaming blue, and he furiously began to stomp around the treehouse.
"Well she didn't just disappear!" Leif was in the middle of yelling.
When the knights- plus Appolline, Melodie, and Raul- had come to the treehouse to talk with Ava the next morning, they had found her blanket thrown aside and the treehouse empty. There had been no signs of struggle, but the guard posted at the door swore that no one had left the room. Only Marcos had entered, and neither he nor Ava left.
"It was Marcos. I know it was. It had to have been!" Noi cried out angrily, his hands shaking.
"What reason would Marcos have for kidnapping Ava?" Appolline asked, "He's literally been best friends with her since she got to Mersedith."
After a moment of silence, it was- of course- Raul who guessed correctly.
"He must've abducted her in exchange for Rohan. They knew Marcos would do anything to get him back, even betray Ava. Lady Bish, or one of her minions, must have found some way to get through the protective barrier around Mersedith to make a bargain for Rohan's life. But that doesn't make any sense, because anyone working for Lady Bish is obviously evil. So they couldn't have come to Mersedith. It's physically impossible. It's physically impossible. Physically. But if they were to make a visit to Mersedith in a metaphysical body, they could get through the barrier because it's technically not them, it's a projection or spirit that looks and talks like them. So Lady Bish visited Marcos through, most likely, a hologram of some sort and offered him a deal: Ava for Rohan."
          Everyone stared at Raul for a moment, and someone coughed awkwardly.
"Your brain makes my brain hurt." Pierce informed Raul.
"But it makes sense." Melodie conceded, "It is exactly something that wench would do."
"Marcos left last night. That means he has a nine hour head start, but Ava wouldn't leave without a fight, so if we leave now, we still have time to catch up with them." Asch said, "If Marcos' destination is my fathers palace, he probably headed through this valley in Mount T'Challa. Then he headed for the port city of L'aendi. If he took the Six Kingdoms Road from there, it would be his quickest and easiest path to the Kane palace."
"What if Marcos didn't take that path? We could be heading in a completely wrong direction from him." Leif said. The assassin had never questioned Asch's authority before, but when it came down to Ava's safety or Asch's pride, it was an easy choice.
Asch thought over the point before turning to Rhys and Pierce, "Rhys. Pierce. You both have a history with Mersedith. Marcos grew up here, surely you must've known him. What would he have done?"
Pierce shook his head gravely, and Rhys inclined his head shamefully, "I'm sorry, Asch, but although I frequented this town often, neither me nor Pierce had much interaction with Marcos."
Asch was about to implode. So much time was being wasted. Ava and Marcos must've been halfway to Mount T'Challa by now.
His anger dissipated when Appolline spoke.
"I know Marcos, and I am a seasoned warrior. Take me with you. I've trained with Marcos plenty of times; if anyone were to know what path he would take, it is I."
"N-" Pierce started to object, but Asch cut him off with a curt nod.
"I commend your bravery, Appolline. We'd be honored if you fought alongside us. Your battle skills and medical experience will be critical to our journey." Asch said grimly.
Appolline nodded respectfully before walking over to a large map pinned on her desk, "I'll bet you the Three Moons Marcos will split off from the main road after crossing over T'Challa and followed the Asqeul River to L'aendi. Marcos has always been discreet. Besides, he's traveling with the last human on Daemos. Ava is literally the only magic source left that can replenish a Daemon's power. Marcos wouldn't want to attract attention. Neither should we. If people learn of Ava, everyone is in grave danger."
Raul nodded, already in full-general mode and ready to help his little brother, "By now, Marcos would have taken Ava halfway through the Lik'weiv valley. But Ava's only human. She'll need a lot more sleep and food than we will. If we leave by noon, we'll be able to reach them at the base of Mount T'Challa in two, three days tops."
Asch looked around the little desk, into the eyes of his most trusted allies and advisors. Rhys, with his brilliant brain and Leif with his quick tongue and deadly blades. Pierce, his large frame and kind eyes. Noi, an ever-cheerful comrade, even when put in life-endangering situations. Appolline, the serious, dedicated doctor and Melodie, whom Asch didn't know all that well but was bound with blood. And, of course, Raul, Asch's faithful, loyal brother.
And all seven of them looked right back at Asch, their leader, their prince. They raised their three fingers to their chest and curled them together, winding their fingers in circle. In Daemos, it was a sign of respect, saying, 'We trust you. We will follow you.'
Asch breathed in, shivering slightly, before steeling his nerves and saying, "Alright. I think our time in Mersedith has expired."