Fixing the Problems (Chapter 9)

Soviet had goals in mind of how he wanted each of his states to turn out, as well as ideas on how to pry into their sanity and get them there. The only problem was a handful of the states were more difficult that the others. Unfortunately, two of the four states he really wanted to change- Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan, the ones with the most potential to be powerful- were unnecessarily difficult.

Russia, Belarus, Armenia, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Georgia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, and Kyrgyzstan were proving to be easy enough. While the simpler ones to influence were certainly accounting for the majority of his states, the ones that were so unnecessarily difficult really felt like they were more plentiful than the relatively easy states.

The difficult ones were Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Moldova, and Turkmenistan. 

Out of the four, Turkmenistan was the easiest, she could be considered to be about in the middle. She wasn't necessarily as bad as the others but she had a very annoying habit of closing up her mind to the point she couldn't even form simple words when she was scared, making it practically impossible for Soviet to manipulate her. To get her, Soviet knew he'd have to figure out a way to get her to stop being so afraid of him.

Moldova was, like Turkmenistan, not quite as bad the other two. She used to be like the easy ones until Ukraine began to suffer from radiation poisoning due to a hastily built Chernobyl nuclear power plant (Soviet wasn't sure how long that would last) and Kazakhstan began to scream from nuclear bomb testing in his country every day or two. After seeing what was happening, Moldova had become resentful towards him. She was soft hearted, to the point that even seeing an animal carcass would draw tears from her eyes. Since Moldova had chosen to pick sides with Ukraine and Kazakhstan, Soviet figured he'd have to get her to approve of him for her to let him get to her head again, most likely by getting either Ukraine or Kazakhstan to show genuine approval of him first. Moldova trusted Kazakhstan and Ukraine, that was certain, and she was frighteningly good at catching lies. The only problem was Soviet had no idea how to get genuine approval from Ukraine or Kazakhstan.

There were a few of his states suffering from radiation poisoning so Soviet didn't understand why only Ukraine decided to have a problem with it. Belarus was, too, and she was one of the easiest ones for Soviet to work with. The nuclear bombs tests were only somewhat easier for Soviet to understand the anger derived from it by Kazakhstan.

The two were very strange, as well. Maybe that had something to do with it, Soviet mused as he looked up from the papers he'd been scribbling out his thoughts about the states on, tapping his pen on the side of his desk. All 15 of his states were lined up in front of him, as looking over them helped him focus his thoughts better. He slowly scanned each of their facial expressions, most were blank as he wanted, some were anxious, a few were downright terrified, one was distasteful, and two were angry as could be. Soviet's gaze stopped on those three. Moldova, Kazakhstan, Ukraine. They were all beside each other in the line. He huffed a sigh and turned back to his papers. 

He had no idea where to start with Kazakhstan and Ukraine, he barely knew them other than the angry expressions they made every time they saw him. He needed an infiltrator, someone they trusted enough to be themselves in front of but was obedient of Soviet. He hummed, thinking through who the best option or options would be, scanning each of his states again. Belarus, he eventually decided, and nodded to himself in approval.

"Беларусь, Россия, оставайтесь здесь. У всех остальных может быть время для себя. Уволен. (Belarus, Russia, stay here. Everyone else may have time to themselves. Dismissed.)" Soviet finally spoke and immediately felt some of the tension in the room drop as his states began to filter out of the room, soon leaving only Belarus and Russia in the room with him, both still standing at attention as they were supposed to.