Ottawa, Canada (Chapter 4)

When someone asks you to "babysit a kid" for them, you don't expect this "kid" to show up, crying in an American helicopter. You also don't expect for this "kid" to be Germany, your main enemy for the past six years. Maybe you were also expecting an actual child to be arriving. Not a fully fledged country.

Which is why it was awfully surprising when Canada, who was inside the Centre Block having a nice, warm cup of coffee at the time, was alerted by his security that an unidentified helicopter had just landed outside, only 50 meters or so from the building. Canada, accompanied by two armed officers, headed outside in the direction of the sleek black machine. 

As he was closer to the helicopter now, Canada could clearly make out the emblem of the American flag printed on the black shell. He nodded a bit to himself- of course America would chose to arrive without telling Canada he was on his way- and glanced back at the officers, who had their guns drawn. "At ease. It's just America." He commanded and the officers immediately stopped walking and dropped back, holstering their weapons.

As Canada neared the helicopter, the door slid open to show the copilot on the other side. Canada raised a brow. It was odd. America always opened the door himself and stepped out with open arms for the Canadian. America also didn't tend to bother getting permission and just waltzed out of the helicopter or private jet he'd arrived in like he owned the place. This all typically happened before Canada had even been notified by his security that America was there. 

The copilot stared at Canada for a good few minutes, to the point where Canada was wondering if there was something on his face making the human stare at him so intensely. The Canadian awkwardly cleared his throat. "Excuse me, but where's America?" He asked cautiously.

"America isn't here, sir." The copilot answered simply and then looked back at something inside the helicopter before facing Canada again. "I'm afraid you'll have to coax him out." The copilot then turned away from the door and disappeared into the shadows of the helicopter, most likely to the cockpit.

Canada, who'd been thinking America had sent him a state or maybe several states to watch this whole time, immediately started wracking his brain for who could possibly be so nervous that he'd have to coax them out. Most of the US states were familiar with him so that even the most timid ones were comfortable being around him. It could've been Oklahoma, maybe. Possibly Louisiana. Nevertheless, Canada shook it off and stepped into the helicopter.

It took a second for his eyes to adjust to the dimmer light inside the shell of the helicopter and it took even longer for him to locate the cowering person- well, country- curled up in a dark corner. Once Canada did, however, he jolted, letting out a squeak of surprise. 

"Germany?!" The Canadian yelped, his tone surprised and rather tense. He took a subconscious step back, his mind trying to process the situation that had unfolded before his eyes.

West Germany's head slowly lifted from being buried in his legs, the cloth of the pants where his eyes had been were soaked with tears. "Who- who are you?" His voice was shaking with fear. He looked exhausted from the constant crying that'd occurred over the past few hours since America left him, alone, in the helicopter.

"Oh, I'm Canada. This is Canada... the country." Canada said slowly, his eyebrows furrowed as he stared at Germany, trying to piece the current situation together in his mind. "Why are you here? Did America send you here?" West Germany nodded weakly and a sigh escaped Canada's lips. "Alright. Well, come on out okay?"

West Germany shook his head, somehow managing to curl himself up into an even smaller ball in the corner of the helicopter. The Canadian sighed again and thought for a moment before stepping forward. West Germany cowered away from him, yet Canada still persisted. Before West Germany could process it much at all, he was being cradled in Canada's arms, the Canadian man walking out of the helicopter with him.