Preparing for War (Chapter 12)

Moldova pressed herself against the dirty ground of the forest, trying to hold her breath as to not make a single sound. Ukraine should be doing this, not her. Why did they think she'd be a good replacement? 

Moldova chewed at her bottom lip as she watched the three pairs of feet she saw, one covered with leather boots, two practically bare. Belarus had wraps on her feet Moldova knew she used as makeshift shoes, Belarus had told her back when Moldova still thought she was a friend. Estonia didn't have such wraps, she went completely barefooted, likely depending on the callouses that almost definitely formed to keep her from getting a rock through her foot, much like how most of the states went about with their bare feet. 

"Скажи мне точно, что ты видел. (Tell me exactly what you saw.)" Soviet ordered the two states in front of him. Moldova could practically see the waiting glare on Soviet's face.

Estonia spoke first. "Южная Корея тренируется против боевого манекена. В то время он использовал кулаки, но, учитывая большое количество оружия поблизости, он тренировался с множеством различных инструментов. За Южной Кореей следил сам Соединенные Штаты Америки, предположительно тренер Юга. (South Korea training himself against a fighting dummy. He was using his fists at the time but, given the large amount of weapons nearby, he's been training with a plethora of different tools. Watching over South Korea was the United States of America himself, assumably South's trainer.)" She delivered a description. Moldova's hands clenched into fists against the dirt as anxiety pooled in her stomach in a way that almost felt like it would make her sick. She had a bad feeling about this.

"Серьезно? (Really?)" Soviet inquired. There was a small pause, Moldova assumed Estonia and Belarus were nodding in confirmation. "Тогда мы должны застать юг врасплох. Иди к другим, скажи им, чтобы они встретились со мной в оружейной палатке через десять минут. (Then we should take the south by surprise. Go to the others, tell them to meet me in the weapons tent in ten minutes.)"

If Soviet said anything else, Moldova didn't hear it. She pushed herself off the ground and bolted, hoping that her small size allowed her to stay hidden behind the bushes she'd been snooping on the three from the shelter of. She watched the ground, trying to avoid twigs and leaves as best she could. She skidded to a halt once she burst into the clearing that the other states and territories had set up a small fire in. Practically all heads turned to her, the only exceptions being Russia, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan. Moldova's thoughts nearly got caught on the Kazakh, an overwhelming sadness hitting her and nearly dragging her down before, with effort, she pushed the thoughts away. 

"Они идут. (They're coming.)" She panted out, taking a few seconds to catch her breath before speaking again. "Мы идем на войну. (We're going to war.)"

"What?!" Hungary yelled from his seated position on the ground around the little fire, throwing his hands up in frustration. "We just got out of a damn war, why is the fuck head making us fight in another one?" He always used English to communicate but understood Russian fully, it was odd he never spoke the Russian language.

"Shut up idiot! You want him to hear you? That's how you get put on the front line, fool." Czechoslovakia spat at him, smacking him on the shoulder with a distasteful expression.

Hungary turned a scowl towards the Czech he was seated beside, pushing him forcefully so that he nearly fell backwards. "Don't call me an idiot!" He retaliated.

"Then stop acting like one!" Czechoslovakia said, obviously prying at Hungary just to get a reaction from him.

The two continued to bicker, oblivious to their surroundings, as Belarus and Estonia made it to the clearing. A hard elbow by Poland to Czechoslovakia's lower back effectively silenced him, and drew the attention of Hungary as well. It didn't take the two countries long to notice Belarus and Estonia standing there, staring at them awkwardly.