Escape (Chapter 15)

The low-hanging leaves of trees whipped Alaska in the face, getting annoyed sounds from the tall state every once in a while. Estonia didn't seem to be having the same issue but, then again, she was a small country and he was a huge land mass, larger than nearly 3/4 of the countries in the world. He tried to keep his focus on Texas's back, the state who was running right in front of him, turning around trees, ducking under any especially large branches he was able to spot to keep himself from running into it and knocking himself out. He figured South was leading the group through the trees, Alaska was pretty sure he'd heard that the Korean was incredibly good at his territory's geography, even better than most countries.

Estonia had, at first, attempted to protest running from the battle, begging to stop and save Ukraine, but she'd gone silent by now. Either she was out of breath from running and couldn't get words out anymore or she'd realized that there'd been nothing they could do about the situation. Both were likely and Alaska wasn't sure what the reason was.

Alaska ran right into Texas as the second largest state abruptly stopped in front of him. "Watch it." Texas spat and Alaska punched his shoulder in immediate response, getting the middle finger from the Texan for his actions. Despite all having different origins, the states had grown to have a bond much like siblings would have. And they acted just like siblings did, as if they hated each other but, in reality, they would die for one another.

Alaska moved away from Texas and looked around the clearing they stopped in, taking slow breaths to change his breathing pace to something less erratic. It was about five miles from the clearing they'd been in before, Alaska estimated based on how long it took to get there and how tired his legs felt. At around 5 miles his legs began to sting, at around 10 miles his feet went numb, at around 15 miles he began to slow down with fatigue, and at around 20 miles of running he tended to grow too tired to continue and collapsed.

This clearing was much smaller than the one before, probably not big enough to fit all of the countries and states as well as the American and South Korean troops. Alaska wondered if they were actually going to stay here or if they were just taking a break to rest before they kept going. He knew he had more endurance than many others tended to, something he'd developed over the years, his origins as a territory of Russia led him to be very stubborn and hardworking. Oh well, it was probably better this way for Estonia so she didn't burn calories that she didn't have.

Speaking of Estonia, Alaska was pulled out of his thoughts as thin, boney arms wrapped securely around his torso from behind. He turned around to face her and, immediately she pulled herself close to press her face against his chest. Alaska put one hand on her back, feeling her trembling underneath his palm, his shirt where her eyes rested was slowly growing damp. "Estonia, please don't cry." He whispered.

Estonia released a sob despite Alaska's wishes, he could hear the clear frustration in the sad sound. "I hate him!" She yelled, pulling her arms from being wrapped around him but keeping her face pressed against his chest. "I hate Soviet! I want to see him in pain! At my mercy for once!" She continued to vent her anger out in words and incoherent screams, punching Alaska's chest. The state winced slightly, not having expected such a hard punch based on how frail Estonia was, but let her continue, wanting her to have a chance to get it out of her system. The Soviet states likely weren't given the chance to release anger and other bottled up mental issues like Estonia was doing now. Who knew how many years this explosion had been growing? Alaska knew Estonia was probably going to be at this for a while, he was almost positive this was a fully fledged breakdown.

America's hand flew for his gun in habit as Estonia punched at Alaska's chest, being instantly alerted by some force in his head that his state was being harmed. He was especially high on alert that his states were in trouble now that they'd been forced to retreat from their camp by Soviet and his forces. America was very on edge now, he'd felt too many alerts for his states being attacked during the short battle, especially California, Florida, and Texas, who took the front line while Alaska stayed behind.