Not the Only One (Chapter 8)

America never expected it. The television, crackling and fizzing with the soft sound it produced, was only supposed to provide some background noise to the busy meeting room that the allies were seated in. Well, the allies... excluding the Soviet Union. It was no secret that the countries fighting against the axis in World War II weren't the most trusting in Soviet, especially America.

Soviet wasn't invited, no, but he was still somehow able to ruin what America thought would be a good, productive meeting.

Soviet appeared on the grainy black-and-white screen that the television showed, immediately drawing the attention of several countries in the room, including America. Soviet was accompanied by who the American recognized as Russia, Kazakhstan, and Moldova. Russia stood attentively beside Soviet, like a soldier, glaring at the camera with deep blue eyes, which was, more likely, a glare towards the cameraman. Little Moldova was hugging onto Kazakhstan's arm, staring at the camera as Russia was, although she wasn't glaring and, instead, she was looking at the camera with wide, curious eyes. Kazakhstan looked tense, the golden wings protruding from his back askew. He wasn't looking at the camera. Instead, he was closing his eyes tightly, his jaw working. America assumed the Kazakh's teeth were clenched.

Soviet began to speak but the television's volume was too low and there were still a few allies talking amongst each other around the table in the meeting room, so America wasn't able to make out what the Soviet Union had said. His ocean blue eyes narrowed as he tried to strain his hearing in a futile attempt to pick up on what the union was saying, back straightened to attention, head cocked slightly to point his best ear towards the television.

A few countries around the table that'd been watching the television screen before glanced back to notice America's expression and immediately acted, a few nudging the countries still talking with elbows to get them quiet. Britain soon stood up and went over to the television, turning the volume dial up.

"- successful development of atomic bombs." Soviet's voice came loud and clear from the television as Britain quickly headed back to his seat and sat down, hands clasped as he rested them on his lap.

The words "atomic bombs" made every country in the room sit up straighter. America began to stand up slightly.

Soviet grabbed a small metal square of a device from his pocket and held it to his mouth, mumbling something into it in his native tongue. Movements at the corner of the screen caught America's eye, glancing over to see Kazakhstan standing there, his eyes no longer closed tightly. Instead, those golden eyes were open wide, the feathered limbs shooting off his back were trembling slightly. America raised from his seat to stand, causing several countries around the table to glance at him as he stood, but they soon returned their gazes to the television.

Not seconds later did it happen. America's eyes widened as a huge mushroom cloud (although it was so huge that it seemed to be much closer than it was) exploded from quite the distance away, followed nearly immediately by a deafening boom, into the air behind where Soviet and his three states accompanying him stood. A bloodcurdling scream cast a chill through everyone in the stuffy meeting room, all eyes turning to watch as Kazakhstan collapsed and hit the ground beneath him, bringing the Moldovan who was still stubbornly clutching onto his arm down with him. The cameraman followed Kazakhstan the whole way down to the ground, then followed Kazakhstan back up as Soviet grabbed him by the wrist of his right arm and forced him to his feet.

A sharp whine came from the winged country as his trembling legs were forced under him. His arm was being held up above his head at just the right height so he had to keep his feet on the ground but couldn't relieve his legs in any way. Soviet showed Kazakhstan to the camera, then pointed behind him without looking at where the lingering smoke from the atomic explosion painted the once light blue sky with a sickening grey.