Dating the Son of Zeus *4*

Okay just a quick sidenote- in the beginning they talk about Panottis. I wanted Mr. Marlow to be something different and unique, so I looked up ancient greek mythical creatures and I found panotti. Basically this is what wikipedia says they are:

The Panotti, from the Greek words for 'all ears', were a mythicall human race, described as possessing large ears that covered their entire bodies.

I added the info about how long they live and their conection with the Earth. But I just thought they were unique and still so normally human that I had to use them. Anyway enjoy!

***************************************************************************************

Following Penelope as she stepped out into the dimly lit hallway, I felt my heart racing. I had no idea who Mr. Marlow was but I knew we needed him. Listening to the light rap of Penelope knocking on the door, we held our breath. It seemed as if an eternity went by before finally the familiar gruff voice answered, "Come in." Before Penelope turned the handle on the door to allow us to enter she turned to us. She wore a wary expression.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"There is something you should know about Mr. Marlow." She said this slowly and quietly. I found myself leaning closer just to hear her.

"What do you mean?" asked Perseus, giving Penelope a curious glance.

Penelope seemed to hesitate. I didn't understand why. "Mr. Marlow is a panotti."

"A panotti?! What's that?" Leonidas asked. 

"Shhhhh!" Penelope said.

"What's a panotti?" Leonidas asked again in a quieter voice.

I, myself, had heard of panottis, and from the look on Perseus' face he had as well. I waited for Penelope to explain. If we weren't in such a serious position I would have laughed at the expression on her face. Penelope never looked uncomfortable. It was a side of her that I never saw. So I took the oppurtunity to take a mental image of her face. Finally, Perseus decided to clarify.

"A panotti is a race of people that are just as old as we are. They used to live in Greece. They hold a special bond with the Earth. They haven't been seen in centuries though."

"So why is this important information to know?"Leonidas asked looking from each of us, from one to the other.

I reached out and put a hand on his shoulder and pulled him close. Throwing my arm around his neck I said, "Just try not to look at his ears."

Leonidas looked at me as if I were crazy. I couldn't help the smile that was on my face. I reached past Penelope and turned the cool brass knob. The door opened easily and we were greeted by a very dark room. The only light was coming from a small lamp that sat on the very edge of a large wooden desk. The room itself was furnished lightly with only a couple of flimsy red chairs, a gray filing cabinet, and a book shelf. A window sat on the left wall and was covered well by blinds, allowing not a single ray of sun to shine through. The smell of tabacco was prominent in the air. Stepping further into the room I knew that everyone was right behind me. I attempted to see the person sitting behind the desk but it was impossible. It was entirely too dark.

"Close the door," the voice behind the desk said. I watched as Perseus pushed the door until it clicked closed. After a few moments of loaded silence, the man finally spoke again. "Well it is nice to see some gods come back to Earth, even if you are young gods."

I had no idea what to say. Obviously this man knew what we were. He was a panotti afterall, and if my memory serves me correctly I believe they live in terms of centuries. Knowing that the creature before me has seen the days of old come and go gives me a wave of sadness. The busy world outside knows nothing of what it has forgotten. Penelope speaking brings me from my pity party.

"Yes well we need your help Mr. Marlow."

"I am very flattered that you came to me, your higness, but I am afraid that I am no longer in the business of helping the gods."