23|Please wake up

Last night, Jessie drove me to the hotel so I could pack my bags. I got Levi's key card and packed his things too. Or at least the things I could find because there was no sign of money, yet he had so much on him in the mall.

I step out of the shower feeling a lot better than I did yesterday. Then I grab the plush bathrobe on the rack nearby and slip it on. "Cassi, are you done in there?" I hear Jessie ask through the door.

"Um yeah." I step out of the bathroom, greeted by a tantalizing aroma. "Do you feel better?" she asks. "Yes, I do, thank you," I reply. The messy apron she has on tells me she was whipping something up in the kitchen before coming to check on me. "I left some clothes for you on your bed, dress up and come eat," she tells me.

I nod and she walks away. She's shown me a lot of hospitality for someone I just met. I honestly wish I could live here instead, with her. She's like the mother I wish I had.

Speaking of my mother, she called me more than forty times last night. But I didn't pick even once, because I didn't know how I would explain to her that Levi is in a coma and I'm living with a stranger I met at the mall. She would without hesitation, book a flight here and bring me back herself.

I step into my room, spotting the clothes that were left for me, folded neatly on the edge of the bed. A white tank top and a pair of grey shorts.

I dry myself up and slip the clothes on, struggling with my left arm a bit. I pick up my brace and slip it on, strapping it up. I can't wait for this to be over. Guess I should head to the kitchen now. I get on the bed, sliding my hand underneath the pillow to retrieve my phone. I'll just check if I got any calls first.

I did, from an unidentified number. This person called me 10 times meaning they were desperate to reach me.

What if it's my mum using another phone just so she can confirm I've been ignoring her? But then again, what if it's not?

Before I can decide whether to call back or not, the phone starts ringing again. It's the same number.

I poise my finger over the green button, not sure of what to do. Oh, whatever. I pick up the call and bring the phone up to my lips. "Hello?"

"Cassi. Where's Levi?"

"Where's Levi? I don't even know who you are," I snap. "It's Dario and I need to know where Levi is right now."

No, no, no, what do I tell him? Them finding out Levi got shot would probably tarnish his reputation in the mafia business. What if he gets replaced for not being cautious enough? Gosh, I don't know how mafias work. I just don't want anyone to find out about this. If he doesn't wake up I'm a goner. "Uh h-he's in his hotel room."

"Why isn't he picking up his calls? I haven't been able to reach him since yesterday."

"I don't know we don't-"

"Listen. If something happened and you're not telling me, you'd better say something now. Or I'll come there myself. And if truly something's happened, you'll be the one to blame."

"Me? But-"

"And if you're the one to blame I'll kill you. I don't care that both of you are fake dating. Go to his room and give him the phone."

"I-I-I can't... I'm currently stuck."

"Stuck?"

"I broke my leg after... slipping in the shower... so I can't walk right now." Well, it's not entirely a lie.

"Then-"

"What did you say? The line is breaking- scrrrtttrrrr... flippity flop" I hang up and release a breath. My palms are sweaty and my heart is beating in my throat. Just what have you done this time Cassi?