4|A Proposition

It took ages for the sun to rise. I barely even got any sleep because of the recurring nightmares I had. I eventually settled on doing some research on Ace Finnegan. So I looked up his name and I didn't find anything about him. But I did find something about Bill Finnegan. The guy is wanted for the illegal trade of dead bodies. He kind of looked like Ace. Maybe his dad? I don't know. But he was last seen in an estate in the neighboring town, Rosewood.

I get out of bed and walk into the bathroom then I turn on the faucet, cupping the water in my hands and splashing it over my face.

A hoodie and sweats are my morning outfit. I pick up my phone and scroll through the notifications. The school site already announced the death of James and Natalie but hasn't found the body of Darren, how unfortunate.

Death is common in Moorwood, it's why not many people live here anymore. Almost everyone is in a cult and the rest are aspiring to be in a cult. Except Margo and I of course. I head downstairs to meet the empty and dimly lit living room. Margo is probably still in bed.

In that case, I exit the house, taking a good glimpse at my serene neighborhood. "Another wonderful day." My sarcasm is peak this morning.

I briefly trek down the street and into Starbucks. To my dismay, some cheerleaders decided to crash here for a while. Chloe, Mia, and Janet. The dreaded trio. There have always been rumors Chloe ran a cult with Mia and Janet. They called it pink haze and for some reason, more than half of the female population at school is dying to get in. What they do in there, I have no idea. I just hope they never use me as a sacrifice for whatever rituals they do.

Nevertheless, I walk up to the barrister, and from the corner of my eye, I know Chloe is scowling at me. I roll my eyes and delve into my pocket for my credit card. "One-"

"What do you think you're doing?" she interrupts, a grimace plastered on her face. I heave a sigh and turn to face her. "I'm buying a drinky," I clarify in a baby sense, shaking my credit card in her face.

"That's not what I meant," she growls. "I mean how can you still show yourself in public after what happened to Natalie and the rest." Ugh, I hate how dumb these people are. "Oh so because Natalie who I never gave a shit about is dead I should abstain from sex and stay indoors for 7- 9 business days?"

I hear the barrister stifle a giggle. Chloe's face goes red with rage and she smashes her fist on the table. "Just who do you think you are, you bitch! Talking to me like we're equals," she fumes. But aren't we? Then she picks up her cup and swings the contents at me. I find myself covered in a strawberry Frappuccino.

I swivel to the person sitting next to me and snatch his coffee, spilling it on Chloe with a triumphant smirk. She gets up, her mouth gaping and her arms at shoulder length. "You have no idea what you've done."

She pushes me off my seat and I roughly collide with the tiled floor, my head ricocheting off the ground. Then someone abruptly grabs me by the arms, pulling me out of the franchise, everyone staring at me not knowing this is completely normal for me.

Why did I even try standing up for myself knowing I was outnumbered? I've never stood up for myself even if it was just one person bothering me. I guess the thought of walking out of that building, drenched and defeated in front of all those people was too scary for me. It was something I did on impulse. And I might never do it again.

The pain searing through the back of my head is hindering me from comprehending what's going on.

From the way I see it I'm being dragged to the back of the building by either Mia or Janet because Chloe is trailing in front of me with a smirk. We get there and I get tossed to the wall. "You made a mistake," Mia growls, roughly connecting her foot with the side of my face. My glasses fly off my face, landing about ten feet away from me. I brush my tongue over each of my teeth to see if any went flying too. "Look what I found," Janet sings as she marches into the alley with a bat, beating it on her palm. "No please," I choke out, scrambling across the floor until my back is pressed against the wall.