Part Fourteen

You were up long before Katya. You hadn't gotten a whole hour of sleep the entire night and you knew it was just because of how extremely worried you were. The dreams that filled your head every minute your eyes shut were enough to bring you to tears, so, pulling yourself out from under the covers at 5 am after what you could only assume were hours of staring at the roof, you made your way into the kitchen to make some tea, avoiding coffee as to not throw yourself into a fucking cardiac episode.

Not so patiently, you paced back and fourth waiting for the kettle to boil. You wanted this whole thing to be over and for everything to go back to normal, but no matter how many times you tried to pinch yourself, reality was still exactly the feat you were facing. Breathing deeply as to calm yourself, you poured yourself out a cup of boiling water and added in a bag of your favourite tea when life got you down. After one or two scorching hot sips, you realized burning all of your tastebuds off would help nothing, you left the cup to cool whilst you walked out to the balcony. Sliding open the glass door, you were greeted by a chill breeze and the smell of fresh dew over the entire city. It really was a beautiful morning for such a shitty situation.

Sitting down in one of the grey patio chairs, you shakily pulled a cigarette from your pocket and brought it to your lips, reminding yourself how much more calm you were when giving yourself cancer compared to drinking a healthy, warm beverage.

Your priorities would definitely lie more with smoking than tea, but the latter could be nice on the occasion you felt like being patient. You had never been that girl though.

The sun was just beginning to rise and the warm light drew over your skin.

"Don't jump, girl. It's not worth it." A crackly voice said from the doorway. You looked over to see Brian sleepily poking his head out, only wearing his shorts and white socks. Despite his joke, he had a solemn look on his face with the smallest hint of a smile.

The night before was probably even more difficult for him than yourself and you felt like you had been hit my a train.

"Good morning." You smiled weakly, exhaling a cloud of smoke in the queens direction. His lips twitched before he nodded politely and joined you outside, sitting down across from you and stealing one of your cigarettes. "Those things aren't cheap. Smoke it to the filter, bitch." You hummed groggily. Brian agreeing with a small tip of his head and a hand gesture. Brian and you had always had a very bubbly and humorous friendship, so the lack of that energy, as well as the tense air, made things all the more difficult to swallow. When neither of you had said anything about last night, let alone any words at all, you decided to be the one to speak up. "I-" you began- well- attempted to begin, however you were cut off by the previously silent queen.

"I'm sorry. Again. I shouldn't have dumped myself on you. I'm my own responsibility." Brian spoke steadily, looking you directly in the eyes and not missing a beat. "We aren't anything and I know that, but it was hard for me to not come to you for some judgment free comfort and I'm sorry I did." He sighed.

There were no tears in Brian's eyes, but by the way his lips were pouted and the flush of his cheeks, you could tell how much he wanted to cry.

"No. Don't apologize." You had built up all of your feelings for too long and moving closer to the edge of the chair, you placed your hand on Brian's knee and looked him in the eyes. "I care about you, I love being around you and fuck, I'd kill to be in a relationship with you, but I'm not in a place to do that, Brian. And so what you slipped up, I'm no fucking saint either." You rambled, your voice cracking as you explained, tears building, but being ignored as you threw a joke in at the end. The queens face was blank as he stared at you.

You felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of your shoulders even just getting your feelings out in the open, but it was only short lived. You quickly remembered the shitty situation you were still stuck in and cleared your throat. Before Brian could respond, the buzzer for your apartment sounded and you practically jumped up to answer it. Usually no one came to your apartment at 6 in the morning, but you had a feeling you knew who it was. Brian was still outside and through the window you could see the glint of a tear in his bright blue eyes, bloodshot from the emotions of the past night.