Chapter 20

A few days later Samuel and Emily were back in Atlanta.
  "Do I really have to talk to them again?"  Emily asked Samuel as he banged the larged Gargoyle knockers.
  "Unfortunately, yes.  The Council is the governing force of all vampires in the US.  They are our law.  The Elder made it clear that you were to come back when you had turned.  I am sure by now word has spread to him of your new state of being.  Avoiding this meeting would not be well for us, trust me.
  "I do trust you, Samuel."
  "Password."
  "Life force."  Samuel spoke.
  "A new one?"  Emily whispered to him.
  "They change it every day.  I got today's when I scheduled our meeting," he whispered back.
  When they made their way into the conference room they sat in before, the Elder eyed her, smiling.
  "Ah.  Ms. Emily.  How nice to see you again, and turned I see."
  "Hello, Elder.  You said you had a proposition for me last time we met.  May I ask now what it is you wish from me?"
  "Yes, yes, yes.  I actually require your services.  You see, we lost a Council Member some time back.  The one in charge of Tennessee.  We are in need of another.  I think with your quick wit and straight forward attitude you would make a great addition.  You are just the kind of person I have been looking for."
  Emily sat looking at him, shocked as she took in his words.
  "You want ME, Me to take over and be in control....of an entire state?!  And, and what?  How do I do that?  What would I DO?!"
  "It is actually quite simple.  You can put together your own board of directors to help you.  You are to direct and advise the vampires that come to you in need.  Punish those that go against our laws.  You are to report to me once a month.  Any help you may require in any of your duties just come to me and I will support you in any manner needed.  Your work will of course be compensated well.  You will want for nothing, we will make sure of that.  Do you agree?"
  "Uhm...can I have some time to think about it?"
  "No," he said promptly.  "I need your answer now.  We have already been too long with noone in charge of that area, and look what Vastin did in that time.  We cannot chance another stirring up chaos in the meantime."
  "Oh, ok.  I can see that."
  She looked at Samuel, "what do you think I should do?"
  He smiled at her, "this is an amazing honor.  And I have to agree that you would be perfect.  But it is up to you, I cannot tell you what to do."
  "Can I have Samuel aid me?"
  "You may pick a group of your choosing, as I stated. So of course."
  "OK," she said, straightening up in her seat.  "I'll do it."
  "Very well, very well indeed!"  The Elder stated with glee, clapping his hands.  Emily chuckled at this, not expecting the Elder to act in such a kiddish manner.
  "This is all so much," Emily said as they were leaving the building.  "I definitely did not see that coming!"
  "I can't say I am really surprised," Samuel replied, "noone is more qualified for this than you.  You are smart, and resilient, and a born leader, and..."
  "Shut up," Emily said, stopping and pulling him to her.  She kissed him hard.  "You are the most amazing man I have ever met, and you know just what to say to me.  How did I get so lucky to find you?"
  "I am the lucky one," he said as he leaned in to kiss her again.

  A few hours later they were back home.  Lena met Emily on the porch.
  "I have to talk to you."
  Emily eyed her, then smiled.
  "You're leaving, aren't you?"
  "How did you know?!"
  "The tears in your eyes, and your Romeo over there mentioned earlier he has to go to Tokyo.  I put one and one together, and *poof*, I knew."  Then she laughed.  "It's ok, really.  You have always wanted to travel, and it would do you some good to get away.  And to get to know him more.  I think he is good for you, and I just want you to be happy."
  She then hugged Lena, who began sobbing immediately.
  "H-he really is, and I-I'm gonna m-miss you..."
  "I'm going to miss you, too.  Call me every day, and send me a postcard once a week.  And take pictures.  A lot of them!"
  "I will," Lena replied, wiping her eyes.
  "We'll be back in about a year.  He and his family are going to help build our cabin, it just seems like so long away."
  "I know, but I'm sure it will go by fast, and I'll be here, always."
  She hugged her friend one more time, then helped her load her belongings into Jamal's truck.  When they were gone, she turned to walk back inside and seen Samuel standing in the doorway.  He was leaning against the door frame, arms crossed.  He smiled at her as she walked into him, wrapping her arms around his muscular build.  As he kissed her head she thought how wonderful life had turned out, and how much it had changed in such a short time.  And she wouldn't want it any other way.