Chapter6

When they stepped inside, the view was even more breathtaking than outside.  A small, but elegant chandelier hung down in the living room.  A large fireplace was already lit, and a large candelabra sat upon the mantle.  Landscape paintings adorned the walls, and a white rug ran the length of the cozy space.  Two black leather recliners and a matching love seat nestled together facing the fire.  Every window throughout was covered with dark blackout curtains, not letting in even the smallest of light.  The kitchen hosted a simple round, wooden table with four chairs.  The countertops were white marble, with white cabinets spanning completely around the kitchen.  The stove and refrigerator were both stainless steel, and the floors were solid black tile.  Stairs leading to the second floor were right past the sink.  The handrails were solid wood, with carvings of intricate swirls all the way to the top.
  When Emily and Lena made it to the top floor they were greeted by an older woman.  She had her graying hair in a bun, and her soft blue eyes sparkled at them.  "Oh, uhmm, h-hello.  I didn't realize anyone else would be here."  Emily sputtered out.  The woman smiled at her, "Nothing to worry about, dear.  My name is Mrs. Gastow, but please call me Lettie.  I am the maid and caretaker for Mr. Geigher."
  "Samuel, Mrs. Lettie, I've begged you, just Samuel."  He said as he rounded the stairs.  "Right here to the left, Lena, is a room for you.  The bathroom is right next to it, and your room is next to mine on the right, Emily.  The linen closet is full, as is the fridge downstairs.  Mrs. Lettie stays here to look after my home when I am away, so I make sure everything stays fully stocked for her.  If either of you ladies require anything, just let me or her know, and we will make sure you are very well accomodated.  Now I must adjurn to my room, for sunrise is very soon."
  Emily stepped into her room and admire the simple, yet beautiful setup.  A small fireplace was in the corner, with a rocking chair in front of it. A large mahogany wardrobe was across from it in the other corner.  There was a king size log made bed with a red heavy comforter, and red canopy around it.  She walked to the window and pulled back the curtain.  She could see the sun peeking out behind the mountains in the distance, it's rays enveloping the night sky with it's red and orange and yellow glow as it took over and transitioned from the blackened night to the cascade of color the morning brings. 
  She opened the wardrobe and was surpised to see it already full of clothes that were perfectly her size.  She found a soft, pink nightgown that was floor length and made her way to the bathroom to shower.  The bathroom was not very big, but it had a claw foot tub with a shower and a sink with a single cabinet beneath it.  She looked at herself in the mirror and sighed when she seen her reflection.  She had two scratches down the left side of her face, and her eyes were heavy with the weight of the night's events.  Her hair was completely dissheveled, and dirt clung to her neck.  When she stepped into the tub and turned the shower on, she welcomed the warm flow of water.  She stood for a while, just letting her worries of what the coming days may soon bring drift down the drain, before scrubbing the filth from her body and hair.  When she was done and back in her room, she crawled into the cozy bed and soon drifted off to a soundless sleep.
  When she awoke she could smell the aroma of bacon frying and coffee brewing from downstairs.  After making her bed and getting dressed she made her way down the stairs to fill her belly and work with the others to come up with a plan for their inevitable, very near, future.