Chapter 12

Shortly after nightfall and a few hours of rest, the three of them headed towards Franklin.  "I just know this is going to work," Emily said as they pulled up to a large abandonded building right off the main highway.  "This used to be a brewery, so it felt perfect," she stated laughingly.
  "It is still not safe for you two, so stay here in the car while I go check how things are going."  Samuel said as he gave both of them a stern glance.
  "We know, we know," Lena said, rolling her eyes at him.
  "I really wish ya'll wouldn't have insisted on coming," Samuel said through gritted teeth.  "You really are going to be the second death of me."  As he said that he smiled, and Emily grinned at him, knowing exactly what he meant.
  He knocked on the door and a man with a raspy voice met him.
  "Password."
  "Bloodrun."
  The large metal door swung open and Samuel walked in.  There were four long tables, with people seated all around.  Multiple nurses and attendees were working with each person that was seated and IV bags set up.  We had an amazing turnout today.  We have more than enough donations for tonight, and plenty going into the cooler for this week."  Samuel turned to face the woman speaking to him.  She had a short brown bob, and piercing green eyes.  She spoke with a French accent, and her smile revealed perfectly pointed fangs.
  "Thank you, Delvinia.  You don't know how much it means it to me you helping with all of this."
  "Ah, Samuel, you know I am over the old ways.  Hunting, hiding, being looked at with fear and hatred.  These last few years have shown me a life I want.  I refuse to go back.  So anything to help you and your cause helps me."
  He smiled at her and turned to walk out.
  "One more thing, Samuel."
  He stopped and turned to face her.
  "I just want you to know that many of us think what you are doing is a noble thing.  To give a mortal the choice to live her life her way.  We stand behind you."
  He smiled at her.  "Thank you, you don't know how much that really means to me.  All I have heard is how I am going against our community, and being disgraced."
  Her green eyes warmed over.  "I had assumed as much.  I felt you needed to know that not all of us feel that way, Samuel.  The world around us is changing, and it is our duty to change with it.  You are wise well beyond your years.  It is a shame many of our older ones have not matured as much.  Be well, my friend."
  She turned away and walked towards one of the tables, leaving Samuel to ponder her words.
  He had a large grin on his face when he made it back to the car.
  "Going good, huh?"  Emily said as he sat down.
  "Tremendously! They are sending out the first load now, so we can get to work on our Vastin trouble."
  "Where to now, boss?"  Lena asked him.
  He thought for a moment.  "I think I know exactly what we need to do.  We need to go to the counsel.  If I can get them to agree with me, then we may have a shot at turning all this around."
  "Where is that at?"  Emily questioned.
  "Atlanta.  So it will have to wait until tomorrow night.  I will make have to make a call and get us an urgent meeting set up.  For now let's go home and rest.  Tomorrow is going to be a long, long night."
  "Are you sure they will be able to help?"  Emily said.
  "It is in their best interest to.  We need to only convince one of them, and with you by my side I am sure we will do just that."
  They arrived back to the cabin, and there was a note taped to the door.
  Dinner is in the oven for my ladies.
  For my sir, I have a drink for you in the fridge.
  I made a bunt cake for dessert.
  Love, Lettie
  "She is the absolute best, where did you find her, Samuel?"
  "You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you."
  "Try me."
  "Craigslist."