#start back at one

I sat in my office in Southern California reading over the list of potential guests for our Academy Awards push. I kept skipping his name as I didn't want to see it. I knew he was nominated for Best Director and had collected several awards for it already. I cheered every time his name was mentioned and with every honor he took for Jazz Singer. It would be a boon to have him on our show. According to his agent, the James Corden Show was the only one he wanted to do at this time. He would be in LA for the Director's Guild awards next week and we had an opening.
I had thought about him frequently in the last 4 months. Dreamt of him almost every night. My heart refused to let me move on because it belonged to him. My phone rang and I picked it up.

"Leah," James Corden spoke, "I got a call from Lin Miranda. Why have you not booked him? Are you being petty?"

"No, I was about to call his agent,"I said.

"No need to call Gary," my breath caught when I heard his voice, "I am in town Friday. Can I come then?"

"Absolutely," James said, "I am going to hang up and let you two hash out details." There was a click.

"You still with me, "he chuckled.

"Always Miranda. Quietly cheering always," I said slowly.

"Good. We need to meet. I got a few things to tell you. I'll do the show on Friday if you'll go to dinner after. That's my deal."

"Okay. We tape at 5pm. Wear something nice," I stated.

"I'll bring a couple of things. Let you decide what is best," he laughed.

"Not my job anymore Miranda. Your Dad coming with you?"

"Of course. We will see you on Friday then, Leah."

I hung up the phone and smiled for the first time in four months. I felt like a weight had been lifted off. I picked up the list and started going over it again.

I was sitting in my office the next Friday. I wore a blue dress and his favorite black boots. I had been on edge all day because I would get to see Lin in person. Not watching him on a screen. I glanced up as my intern stopped in my doorway.

"Miss Leah? "

"Yes."

"The Mirandas are asking for you. I told them you usually visit after but they wanted me to ask."

" Are they in the green room or dressing room," I asked.

"Green room. He won't change til he sees you."

"Okay, " I stood and smoothed the dress. I followed the intern, even though I had walked this path a thousand times. I rubbed my hands together and bit my lip. I heard their voices before I saw them. They were talking about dogs. I laughed and stepped into the room. I saw Luis first. He looked well and pulled me into a hug. He whispered into my ear that I looked beautiful and to give his son hell.

I turned to the younger. Lin was wearing an old Hamilton shirt and black jeans. He looked good, a little thin. His hair was still short, but on him, it looked good.

"You are not wearing that on my show Miranda. You and the bag in dressing room, now."

He smirked and carried the garment bag into the dressing room. I opened the bag and pulled out a blue suit coat and a white and blue striped button down. I turned and he was pulling off his shirt. I held out the shirt, looked away and bit my lip. He stepped to me, leaned close and ran his hands down my arms. I could feel his breath against my face. He placed a kiss on my forehead then picked up my chin and made me look at him. He eyes searched my face, glancing down at my lips then up again. I licked my lips and smiled.