Mark

You slid the zipper of your leather jacket open and took out some notes, all scribbled in tiny handwriting. You spread out the sheets before you, cleared your throat and began speaking in a hoarse deep voice. Something must have cracked inside you.

— Hey, Mark! It's your mother, (Y/N). I'm sorry we never talked. I'm sorry we never will. Mark... I like to think that you'd be a boy. Our little cute son. You would get his eyes. Perhaps, with my color. And my lips, my one-sided smile. But his nose. Well, for the first few years you would have this beautiful little button instead of an enormous adult nose, right? You'd most definitely inherit his power. Probably become a soldier yourself... Right! Like I'd ever let you two turn you into another Ackerman killing machine... Well, at least being an Ackerman means you would never turn into a gigantic titan that thrives on human's flesh. I would teach you to speak my language. And some others... He'd teach you how to ride a horse. We'd get you a cute little pony. It'd be the size of your father and I'd be making fun of him all the time. I'd tell you stories about the whole world until you dad finally saves it. And then we would travel. Just the three of us. To see your grandparents that live so far away from here... I can barely remember their faces now. They would be very happy to make friends with you. And you'd have so many friends here, on this island that all Gods forgot and abandoned... Ironically, they call it Paradise and think of their inhabitants as devils. Devils living in Paradise... But you would be no Devil! Maybe only on one half, right? You'd get my blood too. You'd be charming and strong, and intelligent. And have just the right amount of crazyness. Almost as your foolish parents. And you'd have plenty of admirers. Aunt Hanji, for one! And she's worth a thousand, you know? And I'd love you more than anything in this world. More than even your father. Mark, I hope you can understand... I know you can! I had to do it. But honestly... I don't believe your father will be able to forgive me... I did something that can't be forgotten, erased, forgiven. I hope you get reborn soon. I hope you get a better family, a better mom that won't do that horrible thing I did to you. I hope your life will be amazing, flawless, perfect and full of  fun and happiness. No war, no struggle... I hope, in your next life, you get everything I cannot give in this one. I hope you get to finally live. I'll always be sorry for not letting you be born into this world...

— So, you killed our unborn child, — a cold, steel voice thundered behind you. You hitched a breath. You didn't dare to move a bit. The silence was pushing on the two of you.

— Why did you give it a name? — the voice insisted.

— I always thought that my firstborn would be a boy, — you murmured, staring onto the water surface, cradling your handmade memorial, — and his name would be Mark. I decided this a long time ago when I was a kid. It felt appropriate this time.

— But it's not like you're sure? It might've been a girl?

— It was an "it". I didn't give it enough time to develop into a child with a soul and sex.

— When did you know?

— About a month and a half ago. Remember my tantrum outside the walls?

— You bet.

— That's when I knew. Like legit. I was five weeks late.

— Why didn't you tell me?

— I wasn't sure you actually loved me. That you wanted to be with me. Like for life. With me. And not because of the kid. And then I wasn't going to keep the baby anyway but I figured you wouldn't support the idea.

— We were careful, though... Is it even mine, (Y/N)?

— Levi!

— The blood... Due to the surgery, right?