Some true confessions to be made

Hiding in the darkness, moving quickly and making minimum interactions with the guards, you climbed the stairs up into the world. You gasped for fresh air. Levi left you for a second (which felt more than eternity to you) and led two horses, harnessed into a simple wooden carriage, from a narrow street on your left. He threw a coin into the street and whispered "Now get lost" to someone there. Then Levi approached you and handed you a pack full of something.

— Here, — Levi hissed, — I gathered some of your clothes. Go change in that street. It's safe there. Do it quickly, then throw this thing... you're wearing into a trash can. There is one. Then burn it. Here, take some matches.

— Levi, is that really necessary? — you mourned.

His grey eyes pierced you through the dark.

— Do it, — he ordered flatly.

Unable to disobey, you moved into the alley. When your trembling fingers finally managed to light the fire, you heard the horses, neighing nervously. You glimpsed at what you were wearing, lit by the bright firelight. You also thought you noticed two eyes sparkle somewhere in front of you. You shivered and rushed back to Levi.

— What's wrong with your face? — Levi asked coldly, helping you to climb into the carriage.

— Levi, — you smiled tiredly, — they don't match.

— Huh?

— The clothes you brought me. Everything is so different, I look tacky, — you pouted. Levi gave you black slippers, a red long-sleeve shirt, a green survey corps' cape and blue cotton trousers with wide legs. Levi raised his eyebrows, though you couldn't see his face clearly since there was only a lantern around. He didn't respond and jumped on the carriage to grab the reins and start going.

You rode in silence unless you crossed the border of the last district. Now you were heading to the HQs somewhere else. You couldn't recognise the place. "They must have moved", — you thought, — "Or he's just so mad with me that he wants to kill me".

— Oh, I missed the air, — you sighed quietly just to start a conversation. The silence was unbearable.

— Did you miss it more than me? — Levi didn't intend to hide sarcasm. Though, you didn't come up with anything clever to respond.

— So, not talking-to-me-treatment again, huh? — he went on, spitting poison, eyes on the barely seen road, — Thank you, Levi, thank you for saving my goddamn ass from that hell I accidentally happened to wake up in for days. Thank you for risking your precious life for my stupid ugly face. Thank you for caring about me, for coming up with a plan, for bringing me clothes and not letting me ride in that old piece of Devil's fabric. Sorry, Levi, I've been bitching around but only because I can't find the right words to say how grateful I am that you appeared in my life.

— Levi, I'm sorry, — you interrupted him.

— Well, that's a start.

— Levi, thank you for saving me even though you shouldn't have done it.

— Let me decide what I should or shouldn't do, okay? — the captan rasped, which made you trail off for a few moments.

Sitting on the floor, you leaned on the wooden bench, gazing into the wide starry sky. The full moon appeared on your left and followed your lonely carriage. Levi was sitting right next to your heavy from sleepless weeks head. From time to time, he was furiously whipping the horses, though you didn't need to ride faster. No one seemed to follow you (or even to care that you went missing from the brothel), no one seemed to wander this road at such a late hour. You broke the silence once again. This time, your voice got deeper, your face grew sadder, your eyes went darker.