C H A P T E R 4 9

After a quite dreadful filming session, Katniss, Beetee, Effie, Plutarch, Coin, Gale, Boggs and Haymitch all sat and watched the video.

Katniss looks down in an embarrassed, teenage way.

Haymitch stands, "Madam President, indulge me for a moment, if you would." Haymitch says in mock respect. "Let's everybody think of one incident where Katniss Everdeen genuinely moved you. Not where you were jealous of her hairstyle or her dress went up in flames or she made a halfway decent shot with an arrow. And not where Peeta made you like her." Katniss internally flinched at the mention of her partner. "No, I'd like you all to think of one moment where she made you feel something real."

"Oh. When she volunteered for her sister at the Reaping," Effie said.

"Excellent example. Okay," he wipes something off the screen, "I hope that wasn't important." He writes 'volunteer 4 sis'.

"When she sung that song for little Rue," Effie contributes.

"Yeah, who didn't get choked up at that? You know, I like you better, Effie, without all that makeup." He flirts, writing down 'song for Rue'.

"Well, I like you better sober," Effie smiles back earning a look from Haymitch.

When she chose Rue as an ally, as well," Beetee adds and Effie agrees.

"Now, what do all these have in common?" Haymitch asks.

"No one told her what to do," Gale responds.

"Unscripted, yes. So maybe we should just leave her alone." Beetee suggests.

"And wash her face. She's still a girl. You made her look 35." Boggs says, causing Katniss to smile and Effie to scoff.

"The opportunities for spontaneity are obviously lacking below ground. So what you're suggesting is we toss her into combat?" Plutarch asks.

"I can't sanction putting an untrained civilian in battle just for effect," President Coin disagrees. "This is not the Capitol," she looks at Katniss.

"That is exactly what I'm suggesting. Put her in the field." Haymitch says, ignoring Coin.

"No, we can't protect her," Coin tries to argue.

"It has to come from her." Haymitch states, "that's what people respond to. You want a symbol for the revolution? She cannot be coached into it. Trust me, I know," he mutters the last bit.

"Maybe there's someplace that's less dangerous," Plutarch suggests.

"District 8. They reported heavy bombing last week. There are no military targets left." Beetee says.

"We can't guarantee her safety," Coin says, still arguing.

"You'll never be able to guarantee my safety." Katniss argues, "I wanna go."

"And if you're killed?" Coin tries to convince her.

"Make sure you get it on camera."

AN: I had to include this part, I love the last line sm.