C H A P T E R 7 9

JESSICA POV

Remember that thing I was thinking about sewers, never mind. We found ourselves chest deep in what I hope and pray is just water before finding a shallow part where the water only reached halfway up my shin to settle down.

"You can stop here for a bit and get some rest, yeah?" We all follow Jackson's suggestion and climb into a raised, dryer area. "I'll take first watch," Jackson calls.

"Hey Peeta, you stick in there?" Finnick guides a cuffed Peeta. I looked over to check on Pollux, seeing him and his brother smile as he signed, 'home sweet home.'

I sat in between Peeta and Finnick again. Peeta was positioned about 3 metres away whereas Finnick wasted no time wrapping an arm around my shoulder and bringing me into his side. I immediately relaxed into him.

I woke to hear Jackson switch watch with Katniss. Katniss moved opposite Peeta, next to Leah, to keep an eye out for danger.

Katniss' head shoots to Peeta as he speaks up, she mustn't have expected him to be awake let alone talk to her. "You know, the Capitol, they used tracker jacker venom on me. And Jess. That's what the doctors at 13 said. You were stung once too. Real or not real?" Peeta asks.

"Real," Katniss confirms.

"When they used the venom on me, they would show me pictures of my life. But some weren't real. They changed them. At first they all blurred together, but now, now I can sort them out a little." A tear ran down Peeta's face silently. "Like the little ones that they changed, they have this quality. It's like they're shiny, they have been glossed over."

"You should get some rest," Katniss tells him.

"You're still trying to protect me," Peeta observes. "Real or not real."

"Real," Katniss confirms again. "That's what you and I do. Keep each other alive."

Peeta wipes his cheek on his jacket subtly as Katniss exchanges a silent glance with Gale.

I don't like Gale. I don't know why. I don't have an exact reason why and, I don't need one. I just really don't like the man.

I cuddled closer into Finnick's side as he slept, zoning away from the 'love' triangle and letting myself get lost in my own little world. My world with Finnick. Even in his sleep, his arm protectively tightened around my shoulder as I bury my face against him.

I manage to fall asleep again, being woken shortly after by people alerting us all to move in rather panicked tones.

Pollux shows us the fastest way out, to escape the incoming mutts that could be heard in the distance.

Gale took the lead with Katniss and Pollux close by and Jackson took the rear, walking backwards to keep the light of her torch behind us.

Gale led the way with fire arrows before we turned every corner. Pollux leads us to a small, narrow opening which he crawls through, signalling for us to wait until he knows it's clear.

Once he was in, those 7 seconds felt like 7 years as we waited, hoping it was safe, hoping he was safe. Please please please. I repeated in my head, hoping that if I procrastinate, it'll be okay.

He turns back round the corner causing us to let out quite signs of relief before following one at a time, shuffling our way through the gap.

Just as Jackson turns to crawl through herself, a herd of mutts leap onto her, she's a goner.

Katniss shoots an explosive arrow at them as they try to crawl through after us.

We begin to run through the water as quickly as possible, Pollux leading us. I hear a scream shortly followed by the name "Castor" being shouted.

We keep moving, though it took a few pushes to get Pollux going again, he soon snaps out of his daze of grief, realising we need his help.

He runs off again as we follow, shooting mutts as the throw themselves at us.

Pollux gestures up to a ladder as people begin to clamber up.

The mutts keep coming.

AN: the ladder/mutt scene next...