Love?

EVE

I love you.

Love?

Yes. Don't cry don't cry don't cry be strong be strong be strong. A tear falls and I want to weep and crumple into a ball and just no longer exist.

Tell me of love.

My breathing is heavy and as soon as I'm in Adams arms my heart beat synchronizes with his.

I don't know much of love but the word came to mind these past few weeks whenever I saw you.

What does it mean? His voice was soft and he still held me close as we sat at the gate

Love means, what does love mean to me I adjust my posture and sit up to look him in the eyes he loosens his hold of me but still holds my hand in his.

Love means, wanting to do anything and everything for that person. Wanting to help them become the best version of themselves. Love means I really care about you and never want to live another day if you are not in it.

Adams smile grew and he leaned in a kissed my cheek.

Then I most definitely love you as well.

They sat a long while just holding each other. It was a beautiful sight to see. That was until the animals tracked their smell and their eyes glowed in the now darkened night.

Growls came from the darkness causing eve to jump and Adam to tighten his hold of her. There are so many eyes eve said as they stool. Big and little eyes narrowing in on their prey.

More screams and growls of the animals came and eve pushed herself further back hitting the gate.

This is it, isn't it Adam? Eves grip was hard and fear captured her voice.

Before Adam could speak eve began again its okay if it is. Because I have lived a life with you.

Fear was still in her voice and all over her face but she hoed Adam couldn't see the terror the cloaked her.

I would too be okay Adam said hesitantly but I wish to spend much more time with you before I let some giant cats devour us as a late night snack. He tried to make eve laugh or at least smile but the moonlight wasn't bright enough to see her reaction.

Please God we need your help Adam thought just as eve thought the same.

Through the fake gate? Adam didn't know what he was thinking but the words came out as if they weren't his own. That gate went nowhere.

But that did made eve laugh Adam there is nothing there, they would walk right around it and we would still be done for.

Let's go through anyway. Adam said turning both himself and eve towards the door.

Open it. He said and eve did just that.

Eve

Please protect us or make it a swift painless end. Please God we need your help. Adam is crazy, he said it himself. It goes nowhere and obviously it goes nowhere we can see right around it. Why not. Got nothing to lose.

"Open it." His voice isn't demanding but more of a dare. I reach my hand out and touch the latch. A screech of a monkey comes from behind us making me jump back slightly. I look to Adam, although his face is hidden in the dark, his silluette comforts me.

"Open it" I say to myself and reach for the latch and pull.

Adam

It squeaks open and the sticks and rocks crackle at the base of the gate. Darkness awaits us on the other side. It really was a gate to nowhere. There was barely any hope in anything beyond the gate that we couldn't already see but that smidge of hope dissipated once eves pulled it open fully. But eve pulls me through anyway three steps later. We are through and I see nothing but darkness. The animals growl, scream and screak behind us and I lean slightly to pull the gate closed the growling eyes got closer and a claw nicked the door pulling it out of my hand.